Subject: Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-latest, "5.1 Stream States Push Requests"

From: Scott Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:40:46 -0500

As reported in https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/667:

[section 5.1](
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16#section-5.1) has
the following text:
>idle:
      All streams start in the "idle" state.  In this state, no frames
      have been exchanged.

It seems like PRIORITY frames can be sent/received in the IDLE state
without causing a state transition as illustrated in [figure 2](
http://http2.github.io/http2-spec/#StreamStatesFigure).  If I am
interpreting this correctly then the `no frames have been exchanged`
statement is not necessarily correct if PRIORITY frames have been exchanged.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 19:58:45 -0800

I meant to reply to this earlier, but I think that the easiest resolution
for this is to remove the offending sentence entirely.

---

From: Scott Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 23:05:04 -0500

I also suggest removal in the github issue. Only negative to this is we may
lose the original meaning the statement was intended to convey. Unless the
original meaning is lost or overly complicated it may be good to preserve.
Suggestions welcome.