Subject: draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-latest, "9.2.1 TLS 1.2 Features"

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 16:35:36 +0100

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16.html#rfc.section.9.2.1.p.2>:

"A deployment of HTTP/2 over TLS 1.2 MUST disable compression. TLS 
compression can lead to the exposure of information that would not 
otherwise be revealed [RFC3749]. Generic compression is unnecessary 
since HTTP/2 provides compression features that are more aware of 
context and therefore likely to be more appropriate for use for 
performance, security or other reasons."

This makes it sound as if HTTP/2 offers compression for request 
payloads, which is not the case.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 16:47:43 +0100

> payloads, which is not the case.

Also, in 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16.html#rfc.section.10.6.p.1>:

"HTTP/2 enables greater use of compression for both header fields 
(Section 4.3) and entity bodies."

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 10:07:44 -0800

On 13 January 2015 at 07:47, Julian Reschke <[email-masked]> wrote:
> "HTTP/2 enables greater use of compression for both header fields (Section
> 4.3) and entity bodies."

That's vestigal.  That can go.

The other assumes C-E, so it's technically true.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 13:08:51 -0800

Tracking here: https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/680