Subject: HPACK: static header list and Accept header field

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 18:07:46 +0100

Hi there,

I was looking at the static table, and also watching what browsers send 
in their initial request.

Would it make sense to come up with an entry in the static header field 
that would actually encourage browsers to converge on a common value?

(Yes, I realize that Chrome also ask for Webp, but that in theory could 
be sent in a 2nd header instance)

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 22:05:20 +0100

Julian,

note the discussion we have on
https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/587 which was closed as revisit
on change.  Ie if a breaking change is made to the protocol, then we should
optimise the static table.   My testing shows that there is benefit for
trimming the names, juggling the order and providing values.    But I don't
have a very extensive data set to work with.

cheers

On 11 January 2015 at 18:07, Julian Reschke <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was looking at the static table, and also watching what browsers send in
> their initial request.
>
> (Yes, I realize that Chrome also ask for Webp, but that in theory could be
> sent in a 2nd header instance)
>
> Best regards, Julian
>
>

-- 
Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*
http://eclipse.org/jetty HTTP, SPDY, Websocket server and client that scales
http://www.webtide.com  advice and support for jetty and cometd.