Subject: Protocol Action: 'The Hypertext Transfer Protocol Status Code 308 (Permanent Redirect)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc7238bis-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 11:30:05 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Hypertext Transfer Protocol Status Code 308 (Permanent Redirect)'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc7238bis-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pete Resnick and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc7238bis/

Technical Summary

This document specifies the additional Hypertext Transfer Protocol
(HTTP) status code 308 (Permanent Redirect). It is a republication of
RFC7238 with no technical changes, to update the status from
Experimental to Proposed Standard, since there has been good deployment
experience with the status code.

Review and Consensus

At IETF 90, Julian Reschke made a presentation about the state of the
current HTTP RFCs, including 7238:
  http://httpwg.github.io/wg-materials/ietf90/ietf-90-httpbis-progressing.pdf

There, he demonstrated that support for the 308 status code was good in
deployed implementations:
  http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc/httpredirects/#l-308

... and suggested that this being the case, we update the status of the
document from Experimental to Proposed Standard.

Broad support for doing so was expressed at the meeting, and confirmed
on-list.

Personnel

Mark Nottingham is document shepherd and Working Group Chair. Barry
Leiba is the responsible Area Director.

---

From: Amos Jeffries <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:28:51 +1300

>   (draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc7238bis-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

Hooray!! At last :-)

Great job guys.

Amos

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 08:21:01 +0100

> >   (draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc7238bis-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

Yep, really nice!

Willy

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 09:41:58 +0100

>>>    (draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc7238bis-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

Well, it should have been easier and quicker, but anyway, thanks!