Subject: Transitioning from RFC2616ff to RFC7230ff

From: Andreas Maier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 13:54:42 +0100

Hi,
I am involved with a number of standards that use HTTP 1.1. We currently
reference RFC2616 and related RFCs, and would like to upgrade to RFC7230
and related RFCs.

Is there any document that covers:

   1.  which old RFC maps to which new RFC? (From what I can see, the
      mapping is not or at least not always 1:1, that's why I'm asking...)
      See an example for "old RFCS", below.

   2. which requirements targeting HTTP origin servers and HTTP user agents
      are added or will change, when an implementation that currently
      conforms to the old RFCs, wants to conform to the new RFCs?

As one example for "old RFCs", here is the set of HTTP related RFCs that
   are normatively referenced by one particular of our specifications:

   IETF RFC2246, The TLS Protocol Version 1.0, January 1999,
   IETF RFC2616, Hypertext Transfer Protocol – HTTP/1.1, June 1999,
   IETF RFC2617, HTTP Authentication: Basic and Digest Access
   Authentication, June 1999,
   IETF RFC2818, HTTP Over TLS, May 2000,
   IETF RFC4346, The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol, Version 1.1,
   April 2006,
   IETF RFC5246, The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol, Version 1.2,
   August 2008,
   IETF RFC6585, Additional HTTP Status Codes, April 2012,

Andy

Andreas Maier
IBM Senior Technical Staff Member, Systems Management Architecture & Design
IBM Research & Development Laboratory Boeblingen, Germany
[email-masked], +49-7031-16-3654
________________________________________________________________________
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 15:04:33 +0100

>        See an example for "old RFCS", below.

I'll try to answer that below.

>        conforms to the old RFCs, wants to conform to the new RFCs?

Each of the new RFCs has a section called "Changes from RFC 2616"; these 
are supposed to answer this.

>     IETF RFC2246, The TLS Protocol Version 1.0, January 1999,

The TLS RFCs are out of scope for this WG.

>     IETF RFC2616, Hypertext Transfer Protocol – HTTP/1.1, June 1999,

RFCs 7230, 7231, 7232, 7233, 7234. Commonly 7230 for the message format 
bits, 7231 for the semantics (status codes, methods), 7234 for caching.

>     Authentication, June 1999,

RFC 7235 for the authentication *framework'; for the "Basic" and 
"Digest" schemes there'll soon be new specs from the HTTPauth WG (see 
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpauth/>).

>     IETF RFC2818, HTTP Over TLS, May 2000,

RFC 7230 updates some of 2818: "This specification also updates the use 
of CONNECT to establish a tunnel, previously defined in RFC 2817, and 
defines the "https" URI scheme that was described informally in RFC 2818."

>     IETF RFC6585, Additional HTTP Status Codes, April 2012,

These remain current (in general, to find the current definition of a 
status code, consult the IANA registry at 
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/http-status-codes/http-status-codes.xhtml>.

> ...

Hope this helps,

Julian

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 14:16:32 +0100

>reference RFC2616 and related RFCs, and would like to upgrade to RFC7230

Catching up with the archives I just came across this which might be
useful for people in a similar situation:

  http://www.w3.org/mid/[email-masked]
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
D-10243 Berlin · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
 Available for hire in Berlin (early 2015)  · http://www.websitedev.de/