Subject: Carriage Returns

From: "Joseph Myers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 05:24:53 +0000

May we please make allowance in the official HTTP/2 specification for
conformant implementations to accept lines ended by LF as well as by CRLF?

The ongoing presence of typewriter carriage returns, produced only to be
ignored within each line of data/protocols having nothing to do with
typewriters, is costing the world billions of dollars yearly in wasted
storage, bandwidth, CPU time, electricity, and natural resources.

Permitting HTTP/2 applications to accept lines without carriage returns
would be a very wise decision--one small and needed step to enable those
in the future to escape completely from the sad situation we find
ourselves in now.

Sincerely,
Dr. Joseph Myers

---

From: Ilari Liusvaara <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 17:34:10 +0200

> conformant implementations to accept lines ended by LF as well as by CRLF?

There are no line endings in HTTP/2 (headers are encoded in compressed
binary form).

-Ilari