Subject: RFC 8187 on Indicating Character Encoding and Language for HTTP Header Field Parameters

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 12:29:32 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8187

        Title:      Indicating Character Encoding and Language 
                    for HTTP Header Field Parameters 
        Author:     J. Reschke
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2017
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 28118
        Obsoletes:  RFC 5987

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-httpbis-rfc5987bis-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8187

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8187

By default, header field values in Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP)
messages cannot easily carry characters outside the US-ASCII coded
character set.  RFC 2231 defines an encoding mechanism for use in
parameters inside Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) header
field values.  This document specifies an encoding suitable for use
in HTTP header fields that is compatible with a simplified profile of
the encoding defined in RFC 2231.

This document obsoletes RFC 5987.

This document is a product of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC