Subject: Clarification of HTTP 413 Payload Too Large

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 10:49:57 +0200

I recently started getting these when calling a service [1] (actually
reported as "Request Entity Too Large" per RFC2616).

The description in RFC7231 is:
"The 413 (Payload Too Large) status code indicates that the server is
refusing to process a request because the request payload is larger than
the server is willing or able to process."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's talking about the size of the *request*
payload, ie. client to server, not *requested* (response) payload, ie.
server back to client. However in my case the error was actually that the
data requested would be larger than the server was prepared to return.

Either way, this strikes me an easy source of confusion, I'd suggest an
extra word or two to help avoid this.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1]
http://webservices.ingv.it/fdsnws/event/1/query?starttime=2009-04-01T00:00:00&endtime=2009-04-10T00:00:00
- try a wget on it

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2017 11:02:32 +0200

On 2017-09-08 10:49, Danny Ayers wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's talking about the size of the 
> *request* payload, ie. client to server, not *requested* (response) 
> payload, ie. server back to client. However in my case the error was 
> actually that the data requested would be larger than the server was 
> prepared to return.
> 

It does already say "request payload", so what do you want to change? 
The title of the section?

Best regards, Julian