Subject: Re: Working Group Last Call: Cache-Status

From: Amos Jeffries <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 15:25:31 +1300

Sorry for the lack of response earlier.

Squid v6 has implemented this header and replaced old X-Cache and 
X-Cache-Lookup outputs with Cache-Status. This version is currently 
still in development builds, and should start to see widespread use 
sometime 2022.

Experience with the header itself so far is that it reduces confusion a 
lot over conflicting labels from the X-Cache* using the same words with 
slightly different meanings. This benefit alone has been useful enough 
that we plan to keep this change.

We emphasize that other implementers should take care to understand the 
security section of this document before going beyond simple HIT/MISS 
indicators.

Amos Jeffries
The Squid Software Foundation

---

From: Leif Hedstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 13:05:51 -0700

> On Feb 25, 2021, at 12:07 PM, Tommy Pauly <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello all,
> 
> We’ve received some issues on GitHub (thanks!), but I’d like to see some more feedback from the WG before the Last Call ends, to indicate if you think the document is ready to progress. Please do respond when you have a moment!

We (Apache Traffic Server) looked at this specification, and we’re pretty comfortable that we can implement this as a replacement for our custom variation of a similar feature. We have an early prototype in the making, and expect to incorporate this draft in a future release. The ability to conditionally exclude this header is obviously critical, and documented in the draft.

I’m comfortable with this to progress.

Cheers,

— Leif

---

From: Tommy Pauly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 13:16:34 -0700

Thanks to Leif and Amos for the feedback!

While we haven’t received a huge amount of feedback, the feedback we do have is positive and comes from implementations that have worked on using the spec. As such, I am going to call this last call complete and send this document up to the IESG.

Best,
Tommy

> On Mar 11, 2021, at 12:05 PM, Leif Hedstrom <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> 
>> On Feb 25, 2021, at 12:07 PM, Tommy Pauly <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>> 
>> Hello all,
>>