Subject: [httpstreaming] Survey and Gap Analysis Draft // FW: New Version Notification for draft-zong-httpstreaming-gap-analysis-00

From: Ning Zong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 08:45:33 +0800

Hi, Folks,

Please check the attached -00 draft on "Survey and Gap Analysis for HTTP
Streaming Standards and Implementations". Also, URI is as below:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-zong-httpstreaming-gap-analysis-00.txt
The goal of this draft is two folded: 1) give a brief survey to clarify the
scope of existing HTTP streaming standards (3GPP/OIPF/etc) and
implementations (MS/Adobe/Apple); 2) analyze the potential challenge to HTTP
streaming, especially from the network perspective and tends to outline the
possible work in IETF.
For those who are not very familiar with the current standard work in
3GPP/OIPF/MPEG, I hope this draft would help to clarify. For those who are
still confused about the possible overlap between existing work and
potential work in IETF, I hope we can discuss the gap here...

BR,
Ning Zong

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2010 8:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-zong-httpstreaming-gap-analysis-00

A new version of I-D, draft-zong-httpstreaming-gap-analysis-00.txt has been
successfully submitted by Ning Zong and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-zong-httpstreaming-gap-analysis
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Survey and Gap Analysis for HTTP Streaming Standards and
Implementations
Creation_date:	 2010-10-15
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 23

Abstract:
With the explosive growth of the Internet usage and increasing demand
for multimedia information on the web, media delivery over Internet
attract substantial attention from media industry.  To meet above
requirements, HTTP Streaming technology is designed and gradually
plays an important role in recent years.  Several leading Standard
Development Organizations (SDOs) have been producing a series of
technical specifications to define streaming over HTTP.  Moreover,
several companies have devoted to developing private HTTP-based media
delivery platform to provide high quality, adaptive viewing
experience to customers.  Following a brief survey of existing HTTP
streaming standards and implementations, this document gives a brief
summary on these related work, analyzes the potential challenges
especially from the network point of view, and lists the gap between
existing work and possible working scope on the topic of HTTP
streaming in IETF.

The IETF Secretariat.