Subject: RE: Hub MIB WG Meeting in LA ?

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 11:35:03 -0800

Dan,

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	John Flick [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Wednesday, January 28, 1998 12:06 PM
> To:	Dan Romascano ELdevmt-TA
> Cc:	[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject:	Hub MIB WG Meeting in LA ?
 ... 
>  > 3. 1 Giga Repeaters MIB additions - volunteers are needed for
> editing 
>  > this work, and we also need to extend the WG Charter for this
> purpose.
> 
> This should include 1 Gig interface and MAU additions (adding MAU type
> OIDs).
[Andrew Smith]  I second that. The MAU type additions are the most
urgent from my point of view - it is a pain managing these in the
enterprise OID space.

>  > Please speak up and comment. If there is a reasonable degree of
> interest, 
>  > I will proceed by asking for a meeting slot.
> 
> I can volunteer as an editor if necessary.  I would be most interested
> in the interface MIB update for gigabit and flow control.
[Andrew Smith]  I'm not sure that there are any "interface MIB" changes
needed - isn't it just MAU MIB and Ethernet-like MIB?

[Andrew Smith]  I think we should hold a session in LA. I would assume
that this work would not take very long to complete - it's not like
there are very many choices in how to do things.

> John
	  
Andrew

***********************************************************************
Andrew Smith                            tel: +1 (408) 863-2821
Extreme Networks                        fax: +1 (408) 342-0990
10460 Bandley Drive                     http://www.extremenetworks.com
Cupertino CA 95014                      em:  [email-masked]
***********************************************************************

---

From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 14:57:39 -0800 (PST)

> needed - isn't it just MAU MIB and Ethernet-like MIB?

I was referring to the Ethernet-like Interface MIB, not IF-MIB.  I was
just trying to save typing.  I would not want to consider touching
IF-MIB (not that this wg even has that authority).

So we are saying the same thing.

 > there are very many choices in how to do things.

I expect the update to the Ethernet-like Interface MIB will involve
some discussion.  In particular, the instrumentation for flow control
in the IEEE document is almost completely useless for determining
where a network is becoming congested.  A solution was proposed as
part of that work, but was rejected because it violated the layering
model (even though a real implementation seldom follows the layering
model).  I certainly intend to argue for adding additional counters to
deal with this problem, though I expect it to be controversial.

John