Subject: Gigabit Ethernet changes to MAU MIB

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 20:40:36 -0800

Now that we've just published a nice clean shiny new RFC, I've taken a
scan through "clause 30" of 802.3z/D4.1 (Gigabit Ethernet) to try to
identify areas that require changes in the MAU MIB. I believe that this
clause has not changed since the 4.1 draft. Apologies in advance for the
fact that I'm not a MAC/PHY expert and also that I did not participate
in the last round of revs to the MAU MIB so I may be raising issues that
were settled once before for 100Mbps. But I'll make up for lack of
expertise with enthusiasm :-)

Andrew

----------------- cut here ---------------------

1. update comments that mention 100Mbps to include 1000Mbps where
appropriate (rpMauFalseCarriers, ifMauFalseCarriers,
rpMauMediaAvailable, ifMauMediaAvailable). Might be better to just make
some of these comments "exclusive" rather than "inclusive".

2. ifMauType list needs more bit definitions (currently 21 bits are
defined) and ifMauType needs more OIDs for:

        1000BASE-X      unknown PMD
        1000BASE-XHD    
        1000BASE-XFD
        1000BASE-LX     long-wave fibre
        1000BASE-LXHD
        1000BASE-LXFD
        1000BASE-SX     short-wave fibre
        1000BASE-SXHD
        1000BASE-SXFD
        1000BASE-CX     150ohm copper
        1000BASE-CXHD
        1000BASE-CXFD
        1000BASE-T      UTP5
        1000BASE-THD
        1000BASE-TFD

3. do we need the "unknown duplex" enumerations above? (10Mbps has them,
100Mbps does not)

4. do we need the "unknown PMD" enumerations above?

5. new enumerations needed for rpMauStatus/ifMauStatus for 100Mbps
autonegotiation (not sure if these apply to 1000 as well):

        offline
        auto neg error

6. For 1000Mbps, ifMauAutoNegCapability and ifMauAutoNegCapReceived need
new bit definitions:

        1000BASE-X
        1000BASE-XFD
        1000BASE-T
        1000BASE-TFD

7. For PAUSE negotiation, ifMauAutoNegCapability and
ifMauAutoNegCapReceived need new bit definitions (do we want to include
"pause" negotiation in the MIB?):

        FDX PAUSE
        FDX APAUSE
        FDX SPAUSE
        FDX BPAUSE

8. May need ifMauAutoNegCapability and ifMauAutoNegCapReceived bits for:

        RemFault1
        RemFault2

***********************************************************************
Andrew Smith                            tel: +1 (408) 863-2821
Extreme Networks                        fax: +1 (408) 342-0990
10460 Bandley Drive                     http://www.extremenetworks.com
Cupertino CA 95014                      em:  [email-masked]
***********************************************************************