Subject: Re: 802.1/p

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:35:38 -0700 (PDT)

Hi  -

> From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:06:28 -0700 (PDT)
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: 802.1/p
> References: <[email-masked]>
> 
> Randy Presuhn writes:
>  > What impact (if any) does the 802.1/p work have on IETF MIBs?  (A 
>  > pointer would suit me fine.)
> 
> There are some MIB objects for counting traffic by 802.1p priority
> level in the SMON MIB (latest draft expired while waiting to find a
> reviewer, updated draft is supposed to be in the works).

It's been reviewed (I reviewed it).  The objects aren't identified
as being consequences of 802.1p; it's only mentioned in the
smonMIBPrioStatsCompliance MODULE-COMPLIANCE clause.  One of the
down-sides of having reviewers who weren't involved in the work,
I suppose.  :-)

> The Bridge MIB WG is working on MIBs for managing 802.1p (now actually 
> called 802.1d-1998) and 802.1q compliant bridges/switches.  Current
> draft is draft-ietf-bridge-bridgemib-00.txt, though the editors are
> working on updating this draft to reflect the results of last month's
> interim meeting.

Thanks! (to both you and Andrew Smith for that information).

> There is the general issue of how the maxPacket size increase for
> tagged packets (802.3ac) impacts counters across several MIBs.  IEEE
> just decided that packets with size from 64 to 1522 octets inclusive
> would be counted as good and packets over 1522 octets would count as
> oversize (regardless of whether they were tagged), even though packets 
> from 1519 to 1522 octets without a tag are actually oversize packets.
> This does leave some ambiguity as to what an increasing Oversize
> counter on an agent means (is it counting "baby giants" or isn't it?)
> SMON added a capabilities bit to indicate how it was counting these
> packets.  The general feeling in L.A. seemed to be: count it as good
> if you process it, or oversize if you drop it.  See the minutes from
> the L.A. hubmib meeting:
>   <ftp://ftp.rose.hp.com/pub/hubmib/minutes/ietf41/minutes.txt>
> 
> Hope this helps,
...

Indeed it does.  Thanks much!

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked]      http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------