Subject: Re: Loading RFC 2108 802.3 Repeater MIB into OpenView NNM.

From: David Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 97 16:40:48 pst

HI

On what is valid OID values, both of the following are legal:
    { snmpDot3RptrMgt foo(0) 4 } (first form)
      and 
    { snmpDot3RptrMgt 0 4 }  (second form)

However, many MIB compilers don't allow either and require that
values be written in format:
    "{" <identifier> <number> "}"

Some, allow OID values in the first form above, but not of the second
form above. (Or allow the second form, but crash or produce invalid
output when the second form is used.)

Pages 20-23 in "Understanding SNMP MIBs" are the rules for writing
OID values in SNMP MIB modules.

Regards,
/[email-masked], David T. Perkins
Date: 12/01/97, Time: 16:40:48

---

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:36:07 -0800

Dave,

Are these also the (de facto) rules to be used in IETF standards'-track
MIBs?

It is mildly annoying to a large proportion of our customers that they
cannot use an IETF standards'-track MIB to manage our devices from one
of the most widely used switch/router management platforms - seems like
someone should have caught this issue earlier.

Andrew

***********************************************************************
Andrew Smith                            tel: +1 (408) 863-2821
Extreme Networks                        fax: +1 (408) 342-0990
10460 Bandley Drive                     http://www.extremenetworks.com
Cupertino CA 95014                      em:  [email-masked]
***********************************************************************

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	David Perkins [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, December 01, 1997 4:41 PM
> To:	John Flick; [email-masked]
> Cc:	[email-masked];
> [email-masked]
> Subject:	Re: Loading RFC 2108 802.3 Repeater MIB into OpenView
> NNM. 
>

---

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 18:04:42 -0800

Hi - 

> Message-Id: <116F1CE887F8CF118E2300A0C91368E648B58A@SOL>
> From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
> To: "'David Perkins'" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: Loading RFC 2108 802.3 Repeater MIB into OpenView NNM. 
> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:36:07 -0800
...
> Are these also the (de facto) rules to be used in IETF standards'-track
...

The official rules are in RFC 1902, which references an old version of
the ASN.1 specification (CCITT Rec. X.208, ISO 8824), where detailed
rules are spelled out in clause 28, with clause 28.3 being particularly
relevant in this case.  Dave's book presents this information from the
perspective of the MIB designer.  Ironically, the example on page 12 of
RFC 1902 uses the form in question.

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn            BMC Software, Inc. (Silicon Valley Division)
 Voice: +1 408 556-0720   (Formerly PEER Networks)  http://www.bmc.com
 Fax:   +1 408 556-0735   1190 Saratoga Avenue, Suite 130
 Email: [email-masked]  San Jose, California 95129-3433  USA
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy memo dated December 10, 1996, page 2, item (g) (the first of
 two), I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------