Subject: Hub MIB Documents Status

From: Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 12:01:53 +0200

Our Area Director is friendly tapping on my shoulder and tells us it is time
to look at the implementation status of our MIBs and their possible
advancement to Draft Standard. Let us remember what we have on the standards
track:

(1) - RFC 1515 -  MAU MIB (v1!)
(2) - RFC 2108 - Repeater MIB
(3) - RFC 2665 - Ethernet-like Interfaces
(4) - RFC 2668 - MAU MIB (v2)

All the above are at Proposed.

We could consider the following:

*   moving (1) to Historical
*   advancing (2) to Draft, or moving it to Historical if there are not
enough documented implementations and interoperability
*   discussing whether (3) or (4) - published six months ago - already
have enough implementations to report in order to start discussing
advancement to Draft

I would like to hear comments and especially information about existing
implementations. If there is enough positive feedback, I will prepare an
implementation questionnaire, as we did in the previous rounds.

Regards,

Dan

> -----Original Message-----
> From:  Bert Wijnen [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:  Sun February 06 2000 21:42
> To:    [email-masked]
> Subject:    Meeting in Adelaide?
>
> Ref:  Your note of Sun, 6 Feb 2000 17:41:47 +0200
>
> Subject: Re:   Meeting in Adelaide?
>
> Up to you... but would it be time to start looking at implementations
> of the various MIBs of this WG and see if we can advance them to DS?
>
> Bert

---

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 13:28:42 -0800

Dan,

Of course your message does beg the question - what about 10Gig Ethernet? By
the time we get these MIBs to Draft Standard status, they'll (probably) need
to go back to Proposed to include 10Gig objects. This is a general issue for
MIBs for moving targets - does IETF have a general solution?

BTW, Extreme Networks has an "agent" implementation of RFC 2668 and RFC 2665
that we are shipping in volume and are willing to provide feedback on the
implementation.

Andrew

****************************************************************
Andrew Smith                              tel: +1 (408) 579-2821
Extreme Networks                          fax: +1 (408) 579-3000
3585 Monroe St.                   http://www.extremenetworks.com
Santa Clara CA 95051-1450        em:  [email-masked]
****************************************************************

> From: Dan Romascanu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 2:02 AM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: Hub MIB Documents Status
> 
>

---

From: Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:51:45 +0200

Andy,
> MIBs for moving targets - does IETF have a general solution?
	[Dan]  I do not think that IETF has a general solution for 'MIBs for
moving targets'. Maybe it has some practical rules and historical
experience. For example, when Ethernet sped up from 100 M to 1 G, the WG
decided that the differences are minimal, and the MIBs modules for 100 M can
be used for 1 G as well. If the situation is different at the next jump, we
may add delta modules, or we may create new modules incorporating the
existing one and starting their standards track journey in parallel with
their elder brothers (see the example of the RMON RFCs).

> that we are shipping in volume and are willing to provide feedback on the
	[Dan]  You certainly deserve the prize for the first respondent. It
should be a boomerang this time, right?

	Regards, 

	Dan