Subject: [Hubmib] Agenda for the Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB WG Meeting in Salt Lake City

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:32:36 +0200

MONDAY, December 10, 2001 
1530-1730 Afternoon Sessions II 
OPS hubmib Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB WG 

1. Agenda Bashing, Introduction, Minutes Taker - Dan Romascanu - 5 min.
2. IEEE 802.3 Status Report - Dan R. - 15 min.
3. WG Documents Status - Dan R. 10 min.
4. Implementation Reports Status - Yasha Karant - 15 min
5. Open Issues on MAU MIB (3) and Ethernet Interfaces MIB (2) - John
Flick - 30 min
6. Power Ethernet MIB (1) - Avi Berger, Dan R. - 30 min
7. Discussions and Plans for the Future - 15 min
Reading Materials 
(1)
<http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hubmib-pow
er-ethernet-mib-01.txt>
(2)
<http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hubmib-eth
erif-mib-v3-00.txt>
(3)
<http://www.ietf.cnri.reston.va.us/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hubmib-mau
-mib-v3-00.txt>

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:33:16 -0800 (PST)

> OPS hubmib Ethernet Interfaces and Hub MIB WG
[ ... ]
> 5. Open Issues on MAU MIB (3) and Ethernet Interfaces MIB (2) - John

I'd like to suggest two issues to be included in this discussion.

First, one of the items on the WIS MIB design team's list of issues to
discuss pertains to the MAU-MIB:

    o   Relationship with MAU-MIB:  the next MAU-MIB draft should
        specify what happens to the ifStackTable if ifMauDefaultType
        is changed from dot3MauType10GigBaseR (or any other
        10GBASE-R variant) to dot3MauType10GigBaseW (or any other
        10GBASE-W variant) or vice-versa.

My apologies for not bringing this up earlier.  It was discussed in
my analysis of draft-ietf-hubmib-wis-mib-00.txt last August but it
dropped below my radar screen after that.  I was reminded of it while
I was helping K.C. Norseth to prepare the WIS Design Team's issues
list. Clearly, it belongs in the MAU-MIB issue list also.

Another item, relating to the EthernetLike-MIB, was left over from last
time:

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Faye Ly wrote:
> 51st IETF Hubmib Working group London meeting minutes
> Thursday 9 Aug, 2001
[ ... ]
> 6.	Ethernet/MAU MIB status by John Flick
[ ... ]
> 	d.	Open Issues for Ethernet MIB:
[ ... ]
> 		ii.	Which correct value for ifHighSpeed?
> 			1.	should be 9294 Mb/s since it is viewed from
> 				the PCS layer.

Was it agreed that this is the correct ifHighSpeed value for 10GBASE-W?

Regards and thanks,

Mike

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:33:16 -0800 (PST)

[ ... ]

[ ... ]
[ ... ]
[ ... ]

Regards and thanks,

Mike

---

From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:04:23 -0800

See below

> list. Clearly, it belongs in the MAU-MIB issue list also.

Noted.  This does need to be documented, and I guess MAU-MIB is as
good a place as any.  We also already have an ifStackTable section in
the EthernetLike-MIB which should at least point to the discussion of
how to handle the WIS.

ifMauDefaultType is also an open issue from London.  We had discussed
replacing the rather arcane method in the existing MIBs for
configuring speed and duplex with a simpler enumerated object that
seems to be more like what most vendors are doing in their proprietary
MIBs.  If we do this, ifMauDefaultType will probably be deprecated
in favor of the new object.  I have an action item to post a proposal
to the list before SLC.

> Was it agreed that this is the correct ifHighSpeed value for 10GBASE-W?

I believe we agreed that this was the correct value at the London mtg,
though please feel free to check our math.

Thanks,
John

P.S.  I will try to make it to SLC, but if I do, it will only be
for Monday.  I definitely won't be at the joint mtg on Tuesday.
My day job is in overdrive mode at the moment...

---

From: John Flick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:04:23 -0800

See below

Thanks,
John