Subject: [Hubmib] RFC3637 ETHER-WIS MIB module name

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Oct 2003 14:34:09 +0200

Hi!

Is it a bug or a feature that the ETHER-WIS MIB (RFC 3637) is named
ETHER-WIS and not ETHER-WIS-MIB?

draft-ietf-ops-mib-review-guidelines-02 suggests in Appendix C names
of the form XXX-MIB.

Sorry for my talent to ask questions too late. :-/ I found no easily
searchable mailinglist archive to answer this question myself.

 -frank

_______________________________________________
Hubmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hubmib

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:25:20 -0700 (PDT)

> searchable mailinglist archive to answer this question myself.

I don't think the question was ever discussed, either by the WIS
design team or on the Hub MIB WG mailing list ... at any rate my
personal archive does not contain any such discussion.

As for the history, ETHER-WIS was the module name that Mike Ayers
chose in an early WG draft, and I left it as-is when I took over the
editing duties.  The recommendations on module names in the MIB
review guidelines came somewhat later.  I never changed the name
because no one asked me to and because it did not seem to me to be
a very important issue.

Mike

---

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Oct 2003 17:50:18 +0200

Hi!

>> ETHER-WIS and not ETHER-WIS-MIB? [...]

C> [...]
C> As for the history, ETHER-WIS was the module name that Mike Ayers
C> chose in an early WG draft, and I left it as-is when I took over the
C> editing duties.  The recommendations on module names in the MIB
C> review guidelines came somewhat later.  I never changed the name
C> because no one asked me to and because it did not seem to me to be
C> a very important issue.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was just wondering, because it is
a newly published MIB module (not an update), and amoung the >180
published IETF MIB modules, there are just three "*-TC" MIBs, four
very old SMIv1 MIBs, and the HOST-RESOURCES-TYPES module, which is
also not a "typical" MIB, as the only exceptions. Anyway, I'm too
late, so I'll have to shut up now. :-)

 -frank

---

From: Frank Strauss <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Oct 2003 17:50:18 +0200

Hi!

C> [...]

 -frank

---

From: "C. M. Heard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:25:20 -0700 (PDT)

Mike

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:06:14 +0200

> late, so I'll have to shut up now. :-)

I just committed a path for libsmi so that it checks module names
more carefully and warns you in case you do not follow the suggestions
in the guidelines. This should help to catch this next time.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:06:14 +0200

/js