Subject: [hybi] About websocket draft progress

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:40:36 +0100

Hi, please don't take me wrong but, what is going on with this draft?
This is: there are 80 versions of the draft in two years, and there
are still discussions about core components of the protocol as "GET vs
OPTIONS vs any method", "framing or not framing", the handshake has
been totally rewritten (ok, due to a bug), and so on.

In the meanwhile there are a lot of browser and server implementations
of any version of the draft. IMHO it's ugly the fact that a server
supports 3-4 versions of a non finished specification. It's like "the
world is waiting out there" :)

I'm new in this maillist and I'm reading latest threads trying to
understand the current status and, honestly, it seems that the
protocol is still being defined (but it's a version 80 of the draft
!!).

Thanks for any comment and best regards.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 12:10:58 +0100

On 26.01.2011 11:40, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> ...

The only reason there were so many drafts of the pre-WG draft was 
because the author was submitting a new one for each and every change he 
made. It doesn't really reflect what was going on back then.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:41:46 +0200

Asking for regular status updates is not a bad idea. 

Regarding your surprise about many not-yet-finished versions. Boilerplate text at IETF drafts say: 
"
   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF).    
   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."
"

It is good to have early implementations to see whether there are problems. Still, work in progress means that it may change. If you ship implementations based on draft versions then you may end up having problems. 

"The world is not waiting" is valid but if working group participants do not conclude discussions what can you do? 

Ciao
Hannes

On Jan 26, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 08:58:40 -0800

Hello,
>been totally rewritten (ok, due to a bug), and so on.

The current working group document is draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-04.

There is current a straw poll under way on GET vs OPTIONS vs new method (
  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg06036.html 
).  The poll will run until January 31st.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
Hybi WG Secretary