Subject: [hybi] Great work!

From: Brian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:38:27 -0800

I just wanted to send a general "Thank you!" to everyone on the list
for all your long-suffering hard work that has made WebSockets a great
and yet still simple protocol.  Last night I coded up a partial client
implementation in Flash of the -06 draft... just enough to connect to
Andy Green's excellent libwebsockets-test-server using the
dumb-increment-protocol and receive the continually incrementing
numbers that it spits out.  I wrote an implementation of the handshake
and a parser for the framing based on nothing but the current -06
draft, and to my surprise and delight, the whole thing worked
perfectly on the first try.  That is truly a testament to the quality
of the draft and the clarity of its writing, as well as the simplicity
of the protocol.  It's extremely close to that perfect balance point
of features vs. simplicity.

So give yourselves all a collective pat on the back!  We've really got
an amazing working draft and an excellent protocol that is poised to
truly transform the real-time web once it's complete!  Actually
sitting down to write my own implementation has really re-kindled my
excitement and enthusiasm for the whole project!

I plan to finish out the client implementation, with masking and
support for extensions very soon.  When it's in a more sane state I
will publish it on GitHub, along with a pre-compiled Adobe Air test
app that will work with all of Andy's libwebsockets-test-server
subprotocols.

Cheers,
Brian

---

From: Joel Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:23:17 +0300

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Brian <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Last night I coded up a partial client
> numbers that it spits out.
>

You might consider contributing to web-socket-js (
https://github.com/gimite/web-socket-js) which is a Flash implementation of
the older 03 protocol. It is basically a drop in emulator for browsers
without WebSockets (but that have Flash) and supports WSS (I added the SSL
support to it a while ago). There are quite a few projects that already
incorporate web-socket-js (Socket.IO, my own noVNC client, etc) so
contributing to that would probably have more bang for the buck for
everyone. If you or gimite don't implement 06/07 in web-socket-js then I
will probably end up doing it but it might be a while before I get the
chance to do so.

Regards,

Joel Martin (kanaka)