Subject: [hybi] -09: sending, closing, errors, extensions

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:49:17 -0600

More comments...

Section 6.1 states:

   5.  If the data is being sent by the client, the frame(s) MUST be
       masked as defined in Section 4.3.

Section 6.2 states:

   Data frames received by a server from a client MUST be unmasked as
   described in Section 4.3.

The word "unmasked" makes it sound like this contradicts the text in
Section 6.1 -- as in, "must not be masked" as opposed to "the server
shall remove the masking applied by the client".

In Section 7, the text about the close /reason/ makes it sound as if an
application might choose to show UTF-8 encoded data to an end user. That
might lead the reader to think that language tagging might be necessary.
Is it?

In Section 8.2, there is no deterministic server behavior upon receiving
data that is not valid UTF-8. Why? What use cases would motivate
accepting such data instead of just closing the connection?

Section 9.1 says:

   Any extension-token used MUST either be a registered token
   (registration TBD), or have a prefix of "x-" to indicate a private-
   use token.

It's probably not a good idea to have "registration TBD" in a document
that is going for IETF Last Call. :) Presumably a forward pointer to
Section 11.6 would suffice.

Do we really want to encourage use of "x-"? See here for relevant
considerations (I plan to submit an updated version soon):

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-saintandre-xdash-considered-harmful-01.txt

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/