Subject: [hybi] draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-09.txt

From: Dan Adkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:39:41 -0700

Comment:

Sec 1.3. Opening Handshake

   Headers in the handshake are sent by the client in a random order;
   the order is not meaningful.

Saying "random order" here is misleading; it implies that the client
must shuffle the headers (I understand old versions of the protocol
required this.)  If the order is not meaningful, then it is perfectly
fine for an implementation to always send them in the same order.

I think the wording from RFC 2616 (HTTP/1.1) is clearer:

   The order in which header fields with differing field names are
   received is not significant.

-Dan

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:14:01 +0200

Hi,

> fine for an implementation to always send them in the same order.

Good point.

>    received is not significant.

Or maybe a mix of both, something around this ?

     Headers in the handshake may be sent by the client in any order,
     so the order in which header fields with differing field names
     are received is not significant.

The same point is valid for the response format BTW.

Willy