Subject: [hybi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:33:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The WebSocket protocol
	Author(s)       : Ian Fette
                          Alexey Melnikov
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt
	Pages           : 68
	Date            : 2011-07-11

   The WebSocket protocol enables two-way communication between a client
   running untrusted code running in a controlled environment to a
   remote host that has opted-in to communications from that code.  The
   security model used for this is the Origin-based security model
   commonly used by Web browsers.  The protocol consists of an opening
   handshake followed by basic message framing, layered over TCP.  The
   goal of this technology is to provide a mechanism for browser-based
   applications that need two-way communication with servers that does
   not rely on opening multiple HTTP connections (e.g. using
   XMLHttpRequest or &lt;iframe&gt;s and long polling).

   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt

---

From: Dirkjan Ochtman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:00:56 +0200

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10.txt

Tools version: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10

Editorial nit, page 15, line 22:
"(and it said that "the secure flag is set")" -> "it is said that"?

Technical differences (quick overview):

- Clarified that ASCII-encoded domain names should be sent
- Connection should be failed on unknown opcode (instead of ignoring frame)
- reserved bits maybe non-0 when negotiated
- Sec-WebSocket-Accept value leading/trailing whitespace should be ignored
- client must fail the connection when server-sent frame is non-conformant
- new status code 1007
- UTF-8 encoding failure -> must fail the connection

Cheers,

Dirkjan

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:12:58 +0900

Side by side:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-10

Some typos

4.5.3.
A Pong frame sent in response to a Ping frame must have
must -> MUST

Client's handshake step 5 in 5.1
present in the client' handshake
client' -> client's

7.1.7.
remote endpoint after being instruted
instruted -> instructed