Subject: [hybi] About 9.2.1. Compression

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 17:07:21 +0200

9.2.1.  Compression

   Senders using this extension MUST apply [RFC1951] encodings to all
   bytes of the data stream following the opening handshake including
   both data and control frames.

What does "all bytes of the data stream" mean? all the frames?
If frames are compressed, how can know the receiver how much to read
in order to get the payload size? so does the compression extension
transform WS protocol in a streamed protocol rather than frames
oriented protocol??

Anyhow I remember long discussions about "compression of frames VS
compression of frames payload". Is there final decision for that?

Thanks a lot.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:32:15 +0900

> What does "all bytes of the data stream" mean? all the frames?

Yes. Including header octets.

> in order to get the payload size? so does the compression extension

There's no way to know the exact number of bytes needed to be read for a
certain frame. A receiver has to attempt to read octets available in the
socket and pour them into inflater until it gets all the octets for the
frame decompressed.

> compression of frames payload". Is there final decision for that?
This is the thread for consensus call on removing deflate-stream made last
month,
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg07982.html
and this is consensus confirmation in that thread.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg08073.html

Thanks,
Takeshi

---

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:53:37 +0200

Thanks a lot.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>