Subject: Re: [hybi] Editorial issue: Ignoring rather than failing on URI fragments

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 18:10:35 +0200

On 2011-05-12 09:34, Julian Reschke wrote:
> ...
> What we should make clear is that although fragment identifiers
> currently do not make sense with websockets URIs, this does *not* affect
> the syntax. So if you need a literal "#" in a WS URI, you will have to
> percent-escape it.
> ...

The text that ended up in the spec 
(<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17#section-3>) 
is:

>    Fragment identifiers are meaningless in the context of WebSocket
>    URIs, and MUST NOT be used on these URIs.  The character "#" in URIs
>    MUST be escaped as %23 if used as part of the query component.

That's a bit misleading as it needs to be escaped not only in the query 
component. Maybe this can be fixed in AUTH48?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 09:26:51 -0600

> component. Maybe this can be fixed in AUTH48?

Yes, fixing this in AUTH48 seems appropriate.

For those unfamiliar with IETF processes and lingo, the "AUTH48" state
is described at http://www.rfc-editor.org/pubprocess.html#auth48 ...

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/