Subject: [hybi] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-thomson-hybi-http-timeout-01.txt

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:49:22 -0600

As seen on the i-d-announce list...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-thomson-hybi-http-timeout-01.txt
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:21:30 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Keep-Alive Header
	Author(s)       : Martin Thomson
                          Salvatore Loreto
                          Greg Wilkins
	Filename        : draft-thomson-hybi-http-timeout-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2012-03-12

   A Keep-Alive header is defined for HTTP.  This hop-by-hop header
   informs hosts about connection management policies.  Parameters are
   defined for idle connection timeout and maximum request count.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thomson-hybi-http-timeout-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thomson-hybi-http-timeout-01.txt

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:22:23 -0700

Thanks Peter,

I was going to save the announcement until tomorrow, but some people...

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-hybi-http-timeout-01

This version removes the Request-Timeout concept in favour of the
Prefer header "wait" parameter [1].  It also attempts to revive
Keep-Alive to fill the role of Connection-Timeout.  Based on feedback
from HTTP folks, this seems to be what fits best with their views.
The guidance suggests that the baggage associated with Keep-Alive is
far enough in the past to risk its reuse.  One goal of this is to seek
out instances where this assumption doesn't hold true.

There's a newly added section that deals with the upgrade to
thewebsocketprotocol, noting that the onederfool hop-by-hop nature of
the header is undermined by the end-to-end nature of a
thewebsocketprotocol connection.  Examples included.

This version was made without the input from Greg. He is on vacation,
so don't be surprised if this doesn't reflect his opinion.

--Martin