Subject: [hybi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-perframe-compression-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 02:37:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : WebSocket Per-frame Compression
	Author(s)       : Takeshi Yoshino
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-perframe-compression-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2012-04-02

   This specification defines a general scheme to add per-frame
   compression functionality to the WebSocket Protocol using its
   extension mechanism, and one specific compression extension using
   DEFLATE.  In this scheme, the "Application data" part of WebSocket
   data frames is compressed using specified compression algorithm, and
   one reserved bit in the WebSocket frame header is allocated to
   control application of compression for each frame.

   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-perframe-compression-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-perframe-compression-00.txt

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 01:34:49 +0900

Hi all,

Here's the initial version of compression extension spec as HyBi WG item.

Changes from tyoshino-06
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tyoshino-hybi-websocket-perframe-deflate-06
 are:

- added short text to explain why we've chosen DEFLATE as the first example
- mentioned what intermediaries are allowed to do explicitly
- rephrasing

After discussing a bit more, I'd like to get consensus on how we
componentize per-frame compression (extensions for each algorithm OR one
extension with algorithm parameter). It's left TBD for this -00 version.