Subject: [hybi] [OT] Does HTML5 "mandate" WebSocket in HTML5 browsers?

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:59:26 +0200

Hi folks, a simple question: Is WebSocket "designed" or "mandated" by
W3C for HTML5 capable browsers?

This is, could I reference http://dev.w3.org/html5/websockets/ as a
specification that "defines" WebSocket for HTML5?

Thanks a lot.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:11:51 +0200

> specification that "defines" WebSocket for HTML5?

It defines the WebSocket API for browsers. It has nothing specific to do 
with HTML5.

Maybe you can explain what exactly you're trying to do?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:23:04 +0200

> It defines the WebSocket API for browsers. It has nothing specific to do

Ok, I just wanted to know if "WebSocket API for browsers" is within
the whole "HTML5" :)

> Maybe you can explain what exactly you're trying to do?

Adding a reference to a IETF draft.

Thanks a lot.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:28:55 +0200

On 2012-04-12 12:23, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> 2012/4/12 Julian Reschke<[email-masked]>:

It depends on whom you ask, and whether you believe in precise technical 
terminology or just marketing speak :-). In the former case, no.

> Adding a reference to a IETF draft.

Well, a reference to what?

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:46:28 +0200

> Well, a reference to what?

Just an informative reference about the "expected" adoption of the
WebSocket protocol (given that modern web browsers will or already
implement it). I just wanted to know if all this stuff is within the
whole HTML5 ecosystem or not.

Thanks a lot.

-- 
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<[email-masked]>