Subject: [hybi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 22:00:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A Multiplexing Extension for WebSockets
	Author(s)       : John A. Tamplin
                          Takeshi Yoshino
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-01.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2012-04-19

   The WebSocket Protocol [RFC6455] requires a new transport connection
   for every WebSocket connection.  This presents a scalability problem
   when many clients connect to the same server, and is made worse by
   having multiple clients running in different tabs of the same user
   agent.  This extension provides a way for separate logical WebSocket
   connections to share an underlying transport connection.

   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-01.txt

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 15:08:32 +0900

Hi all,

Here's the ietf -01 version of multiplexing spec.

Diff:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-01.txt

Changes from -00 are:
- now multiplex control blocks MUST be interpreted when the entire message
containing them has arrived
- now the base for delta-encode of handshake is the last
AddChannelRequest/Response with Enc=identity
- clarified how much the send quota is until receiving reply
-- note that this is still open for discussion
- a server MUST _Fail the Physical Channel_ when there's inconsistency
between Sec-WebSocket-Extensions in AddChannelRequest/AddChannelResponse
(e.g. some value that need to be the same for all logical channels is
altered)
-- another option is to just _Fail the Logical Channel_
- style/readability
-- new term "multiplexed connection" to clarify the difference between
logical channels (used for both control and transferring multiplexed
connection's data) and multiplexed WebSocket connections
-- new term "Implicitly Opened Connection" defined to reduce text
-- made definition of send quota and quota parameter in Flow Control
section more detailed