Subject: [hybi] Status/TODO of multiplex and compression feature

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:12:58 +0900

The topics I'll present in the f2f meeting next week will be almost the
same as this mail.

* Major changes since the last f2f meeting *

Multiplexing
- adopted cheap encapsulation
-- http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09730.html
- added channel slot mechanism to throttle AddChannelRequest and to allow
for pre-AddChannelResponse send quota
- use the last AddChannel.* as diff base of delta-encoding

Compression
- decoupled algorithm and common part
- echo back algorithm parameters
- uploaded per-message version to address multiplexing-compress
coordination issue
-- mux-friendly per-message version spec
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09758.html

* TODOs in editor's mind *

Multiplexing
- add 1 byte per message penalty to quota
-- http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09769.html
- spend quota for control frames on logical channel (similar reason)
- provide a way to tell the client to fall back to another physical
connection (lameduck)
-- by using NewChannelSlot or DropChannel
- define multiplex error codes
- add a section to list defined extension parameters and introduce
parameter examples
- make diff-base well-defined. AddChannelResponse can be sent out out of
order

Compression
- standardize per-message version instead of per-frame version

* Proposed changes to be discussed *

Multiplexing
- reserve odd or even channel ID for server-initiated channel
-- http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09773.html