Subject: [hybi] [Multiplexing] Some more upcoming changes

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:15:08 +0900

Hi all,

About error fatalness

I've added strawman texts about error handling on -04 release of the
multiplexing spec. Those who are interested in the multiplexing spec, could
you please take a look at them? Please post mail if you have opinions on it.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-06#section-9.5.1

In the next draft, I'm going to move 3001, 3002, 3003, 3004 to 2XXX and
make them fail the physical connection. Because we're using values in
previous AddChannelRequest/Response to build the next ones, it's bad to
just ignore bad ones with 3XXX DropChannel.

----

About overflow errors

I've defined codes for overflow errors but they don't have corresponding
texts explaining when/where they're used.

My idea is:
- fail the logical channel with 3006 when send quota is going to be equal
to or greater than 2^63 after adding the replenished send quota in the
received FlowControl.
- fail the physical connection with 2008 when the number of new channel
slots is going to be equal to or greater than 2^63 after adding the number
of new channel slots in the received NewChannelSlot.

Developers of server and UA for embedded system could live without
supporting 63 bit mode length header by asking applications on them to use
messages up to 2^16-1.

But regarding quota and slots, the other peer (server or UA) with much CPU
power and memory might send big value even if applications on them don't
use big messages. So, in reality, all servers and UAs have to be able to
handle value up to 2^63-1 for send quota and number of new channel slots.

Is this acceptable for you?

Thanks
Takeshi