Subject: [hybi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 00:07:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A Multiplexing Extension for WebSockets
	Author(s)       : John A. Tamplin
                          Takeshi Yoshino
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-07.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2012-10-02

Abstract:
   The WebSocket Protocol [RFC6455] requires a new transport connection
   for every WebSocket connection.  This presents a scalability problem
   when many clients connect to the same server, and is made worse by
   having multiple clients running in different tabs of the same user
   agent.  This extension provides a way for separate logical WebSocket
   connections to share an underlying transport connection.

   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-hybi-websocket-multiplexing-07

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Takeshi Yoshino <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 16:11:59 +0900

Hi all,

-07 contains several semantic changes.

Semantic change
- added per-message extra cost to quota consumption
-- http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09820.html
- fail the Physical Connection for bad Enc value and invalid handshake
-- we're using delta-encoding. so, we cannot keep physical connection
healthy ignoring invalid AddChannelRequest/Response
-- http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09834.html
- added a text about send quota overflow
-- http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/hybi/current/msg09834.html
- [bug fix] section 7: data frame with an opcode other than "binary frame"
-> data message other than "binary"
-- continuation frame was disallowed by mistake
- [rollback] exchange "Connection" header in AddChannelRequest/Response
since it might contain some tokens other than Upgrade
-- keep the others (Sec-WebSocket-Accept, Sec-WebSocket-Key, Upgrade,
Sec-WebSocket-Version) omitted in AddChannelRequest/Response

Non semantic change
- named F bits
-- F bit in AddChannelResponse is "failure bit"
-- F bit in NewChannelSlot is "fallback bit"
- clarified that an endpoint doesn't have to send DropChannel following
AddChannelResponse with F bit set

FYI, recent changes on multiplexing draft are made according to our
experience in implementing it on pywebsocket.

Thanks
Takeshi

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi
>