Subject: [I2nsf] Alvaro Retana's Discuss on draft-ietf-i2nsf-applicability-16: (with DISCUSS)

From: Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 04:46:36 -0700

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-i2nsf-applicability-16: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2nsf-applicability/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This document does provide a little more detailed view (than rfc8329) of the
I2NSF Framework in that it does reference the models that make it up.  However,
these references are all Informative.  I am Balloting DISCUSS because if the
intent is to explain how the models apply to the scenarios, then their
references should be Normative.  I think this is an easy point to address.

Regardless of the type of reference, I agree with others in the fact that this
document presents use cases.  While there is a deliverable in the WG Charter
related to use cases, I think that was satisfied by rfc8192 (Interface to
Network Security Functions (I2NSF): Problem Statement and Use Cases).  My
understanding of the Charter is similar to Mirja's from the "Data Models and
Applicability Statements" milestone.

In order for this document to be an Applicability Statement, I believe that
significant work is needed.  This point is not part of my DISCUSS, so I will
most likely end up ABSTAINing if the document remains in its current form.

---

From: "Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 14:06:44 +0900

Hi Alvaro,
I am the editor of the I2NSF Applicability draft.
Let me answer your comments inline below.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-i2nsf-applicability/
 => I will let the references be Normative in the next revision of our
draft.

>  => This I2NSF Applicability draft enhances the use cases of I2NSF with
       the real implementation experience through 9 IETF Hackathons for the
last three years.
       This draft describes how the I2NSF data models can be used for
cloud-based security services,
       such as firewall, web filter, deep packet inspection, and DDoS
attack mitigation, along with
       the SFC, SDN, and NFV at the aspect of the applicability of I2NSF to
the real world.
       On the other hand, RFC 8192 just gives the audience high-level
concepts for I2NSF use cases rather than
       the detailed use cases and applicability of I2NSF for real
applications.
       I believe that this I2NSF applicability draft will be useful for the
developers and operators
       to implement and operate the I2NSF system, so the publication of
this draft to an RFC will
       be required.

>  => If you give me more detailed comments on how to improve this draft,
      I will work for the improvement of this draft with the co-authors of
this draft.

      Thanks.

      Best Regards,
      Paul
-- 
===========================
Mr. Jaehoon (Paul) Jeong, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Software
Sungkyunkwan University
Office: +82-31-299-4957
Email: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Personal Homepage: http://iotlab.skku.edu/people-jaehoon-jeong.php
<http://cpslab.skku.edu/people-jaehoon-jeong.php>

---

From: "Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 15:12:38 +0900

Alvaro,
I submitted a new version having the data model drafts as Normative
references:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-i2nsf-applicability-17

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Paul

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 2:06 PM Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>        the real implementation experience through 9 IETF Hackathons for
> the last three years.
>        the SFC, SDN, and NFV at the aspect of the applicability of I2NSF
> to the real world.
>        I believe that this I2NSF applicability draft will be useful for
> the developers and operators

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 04:06:37 -0700

On August 9, 2019 at 2:13:15 AM, Mr. Jaehoon Paul Jeong (
[email-masked]) wrote:

Thanks Paul!

I have cleared my DISCUSS.

Alvaro.