Subject: [iccrg] TCP LoLa paper and coexistence with loss-based TCP

From: Mario Hock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 10:34:32 +0100

Hallo altogether,

thanks for the interest in TCP LoLa. After receiving several requests 
for the paper, we uploaded it here: 
http://doc.tm.kit.edu/2017-LCN-lola-paper-authors-copy.pdf

The paper focuses on the core concepts and an initial evaluation of TCP 
LoLa. We are currently working on a follow-up paper with more extensive 
evaluation. But please keep in mind that TCP LoLa is work in progress 
and should not (yet) be considered a full-fledged TCP variant ready for 
deployment. It rather serves as a tool to investigate the 
delay-throughput trade-off and novel mechanisms like "Fair Flow 
Balancing". Currently we focus on high speed wired wide area networks.

Also relevant in this context is a prior work we've done in the context 
of coexistence of loss-based/buffer-filling congestion control and low 
delay congestion control. We argue that (with large tail-drop buffers) a 
low delay congestion control can never keep the delay low when competing 
against a loss-based congestion control that fills-up the buffer. Delay 
can only be kept low if there is some assistance from the network. 
Therefore, we did not include some kind of compatibility mode into TCP 
LoLa. The paper looks into the possibilities we have in OpenFlow-based 
SDN networks. We also consider AQM and fair/flow queuing schedulers, 
however, these were out-of-scope of the paper.

The coexistence paper is freely available (open access) at IEEE-Explore: 
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7796842/

Best, Mario