Subject: [icnrg] name-based routing or address-based routing?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 17:08:34 +0800

Hi, all

Recently, I gave some thought on ICN routing. I found name-based routing 
has some disadvantages, and I think combining name-based routing and 
address-based routing would be good. I compare name-based routing and 
address-routing below. What do you think?

A content request can be routed to the content source node according to 
the content name (content identity) or content address (IP address) in the 
content request. Name-based routing can also route content requests to the 
content routers caching requested contents. 

Name-based routing has some advantages over address-based routing. 
First, name-based routing has lower download latency because content 
routers can discover contents cached in (some) other content routers. 
Second, name-based routing allows the network to enforce routing policies 
to contents sharing the same name prefix, e.g. specific content provider's 
contents.

Address-based routing has some advantages over name-based routing. 
First, address-based routing allows content consumers and content 
providers to choose content source nodes. A content provider may deploy 
multiple content source nodes. The content provider and its content 
consumers may choose content source nodes for content requests considering 
several factors like the distances between content consumers and content 
source nodes, current load status of each content source node, real-time 
end-to-end QoS and the traffic price of each content source node. 
Second, address-based routing requires much smaller routing tables, which 
can be implemented using current hardware and software technologies 
easily. 
Third, address-based routing can easily support P2P content sharing 
applications, while it's hard to support P2P for name-based routing. In a 
P2P swarm, content sources nodes are peers. A P2P swarm has many peers, 
and the peer list changes frequently. Publishing frequently changing 
routes (i.e. peer list) in the name-based routing system is very costly.

BR
Lichun Li

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail (and any attachment transmitted herewith) is privileged and confidential and is intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).  If you are not an intended recipient, any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of the information contained is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this mail in error, please delete it and notify us immediately.