Subject: [icnrg] Status and possible adoption of "CCNinfo: Discovering Content and Network Information in Content-Centric Networks" as an ICNRG work item

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 11:09:05 -0400

Hello ICNRGers,

Hope you have all recovered from our meetings in Montreal and that 
summer is going well. Of course, the work never stops, so the chairs 
would like to grab your attention on an important piece of of our ICN 
protocol advancement - CCInfo.

Those of you who were in Montreal will recall that we had an update 
presentation on the status of CCInfo. The document is 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-asaeda-icnrg-ccninfo/ and the 
update presentation is in 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/102/materials/slides-102-icnrg-ccinfo-draft-update-hitoshi-aseada-given-by-daveo-00.

We only had time for a brief discussion, but the general sense 
(supported by the chairs) was that this was substantial and important 
work, since it is a documented and implemented tool for instrumentation 
and management of CCN (and by extension, NDN). It was split off from the 
earlier ping/traceroute drafts since there were strong arguments that 
all of them were needed as elements of our ICN tooling.

Given the potential importance, the chairs would like to move this work 
toward RG adoption and eventual publication. However, not enough 
participants have reviewed the work; this is a plea to do so over the 
next few weeks and provide feedback to the authors and chairs. Not 
exactly light summer reading, but it is quite interesting 
intellecutally.

We would like to get to a decision about adoption by the end of August, 
so please weigh in.

One final note. CCInfo is a comprehensive tool, but we still need ping 
and traceroute as lighter weight tooling. Those drafts have expired and 
need to be resurrected. Are there any volunteers for picking up this 
work (including the original authors)?

Thanks and regards,

DaveO (for Dirk an Börje).