Subject: Question about IGMP MIB

From: Fabio Poggi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:58:57 +0200

Hi all,
I'm reading RFC 2933.
I was not taking part in discussion about this RFC and probably you have already
discussed it in deep.
Could you help me with some clarifications ?

igmpInterfaceQueryInterval
     This object has no range of values.
     So, it's possible to set this object to any value allowed by its syntax
(unsigned32), but a value of 2^32 [sec] is operationally impossible, isn't it ?
     It shouldn't better to provide a feasible range of values ? (e.g. (0 ..
1024))

     The same for igmpInterfaceLastMembQueryIntvl

igmpCacheLastReporter
     When is this object used ?
     Is this object used in a router that is also member of the same group
address on the same interface ?

igmpCacheStatus
     Why this object has a read/create access ?
     I've understand that this table is created dinamically by the IGMP
querier/host.
     Is it possible to add an entry in the igmpCacheTable from management ?

Thanks
Fabio

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:55:50 -0700

>     It shouldn't better to provide a feasible range of values ? (e.g. (0 ..

But that's an operational decision.  I don't think we could necessarily
agree on a range that will satisfy everyone's requirements.

>     When is this object used ?

Mostly debugging; it allows for a small insight into what systems are
reporting membership.

>     Is it possible to add an entry in the igmpCacheTable from management ?

Yes, it is possible to cause a system to join a group (e.g. create
a row with igmpCacheSelf = true).

  Bill