Subject: Re: [idn] Report from the ACE design team

From: Kenneth Whistler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 18:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

> Compared with AMC-W and LDUDE, 
> bare DUDE-02 seems to produce  roughly 20% longer ACE labels

I'm not taking a stand on any particular one of the ACE proposals
as it impacts the marginal cases for Asian organization names.
That is up to the advocates of the relative virtues of compression
versus complexity in the algorithms.

> For extreme cases of resulted ACE labels exceeding 63 octets limit,
> we can enumerate several korean website addresses 
> registered to kr.yahoo.com with their titles longer than 15
> Hangul syllables.

> 4. http://www.stims.or.kr/ ( 19 )

> If you want to get thousands of more such cases, search 
> http://kr.dir.yahoo.com/Education/Organizations/

You got the above example from this listing in kr.dir.yahoo.com.
But I think my point holds. Just because it is easy to find long
organization names (in Korean, or Chinese, or Japanese, or
English or German, for that matter), what makes you think that this
particular organization would insist on registering a domain name
with all 19 Hangul syllables (or actually 21 characters, including
accounting for the two spaces in the name), rather than some
shorter and easier to use and remember abbreviation, comparable
to their already existing www.stims.or.kr registration?

You could equally well go to:

http://de.dir.yahoo.com/Nachschlagewerke/Bibliotheken/
Bibliotheks__und_Informationswissenschaft/Bildung_und_Ausbildung/
Hochschulinstitute/

(nobody can accuse the Germans of using short words!)

and discover that:

"Fachhochschule Köln, Fachbereich Bibliothekswesen und Informationswesen"

(22 syllables, roughly comparable to use of 22 Hangul syllables, a
name so long that that they have to use two abbreviations to fit
it on two lines on the title of their website)

has a website at:

www.fbi.fh-koeln.de

Rather than people looking for all the longest organization names they
can find in whatever language, and then implying that an ACE would
be unfair if it cannot deal with that, I think some case would need
to be made that people would actually be *practically* interested
in registering and using such long and unwieldy names for domains.

--Ken

---

From: "Soobok Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:36:33 +0900

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Kenneth Whistler" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [idn] Report from the ACE design team

> to their already existing www.stims.or.kr registration?
 
Unlinke in German and French using Latin characters sets,
In korean (hangul) , Japanese and Chineses, it is not easy to
make leading alphabet acronyms because of its syllabic nature
of those languages.