Subject: Re: [idn] wg next steps

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 21:14:38 -0700

At 12:05 AM -0400 6/26/01, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>We would like to have comments and support from the working group on 
>this process. If agreement is reached, then we will proceed.

How will people show their strong support of a proposal? For example, 
dude-02 should probably be in pool W, but there isn't any way for 
people to show strong support for it.

How about email to the WG chairs? Or email to the list?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 00:05:28 -0400

Co-chairs with the advice of the area directors, technical advisors and 
other IESG members would like to propose the following next steps, in order 
to narrow down the solution space and build concensus:

0. On June 28th 2001 23h59 GMT, temporarily close submission of new wg 
documents.

1. put in a wg document pool (named pool W) all documents that have a 
demonstrated "core of interest". This core of interest would be defined as 
having 7 people strongly supporting the proposal. The current candidates 
would be idna and nameprep which receive 36 votes in the strawpoll.

2. put all other documents in a temporary document pool (pool T). The 
authors of those documents are asked to write new documents that could 
demonstrate a core of interest for their document or to merge documents 
together to build that needed core of interest. Deadline is the London 
cut-off date for documents: July 13th 2001. Any new document should be sent 
as individual submission (i.e. draft-yourname-...), but will be listed in 
the wg web page and announced to the wg mailing list.

3. July 14th, All documents demonstrating a core of interest (pool W) will 
be placed as wg documents.  All others (pool T) will have to be resubmitted 
to the [email-masked] by the authors as individual submissions. 
Only the documents who are in the wg document pool will be discussed as 
focus of the wg.

4. London IETF. Find agreement and concensus.

Notes:
- If multiple solution strategies (as example: ace now and utf8 later, 
ace-utf8 together, ace with directory,...) are suggested, they should be 
described in a document and submitted through the same process.
- Most of the London agenda would be to build concensus
- the two pools of documents will be identified in the wg web page.

We would like to have comments and support from the working group on this 
process. If agreement is reached, then we will proceed.

James & Marc, co-chairs

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:32:22 -0500

Why do IETF people focus so much on face-to-face meetings (like London)...??
when the Internet allows them to meet at anytime, in 3D, face-to-face...

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com
Mars 128n 128e
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/tpipv6/start.asp
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12213.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg12223.html

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:56:14 -0400

Marc,

No.

Eric

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:27:12 -0400

At/À 21:14 2001-06-25 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC you wrote/vous écriviez:
>How will people show their strong support of a proposal?

well, we don't want here to have a comprehensive election system.

>  For example, dude-02 should probably be in pool W, but there isn't any 
> way for people to show strong support for it.
>

no, please. this would be a waste of our email bandwidth.

what about the author of the draft sending a email to the chairs with the 
names of the people supporting it and cc them. This would be enough for me.

Whatever means that show strong support is ok for me.

We want things simple, right?

Marc.