Subject: RE: [idn] IDN security and ACE leakage

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:30:08 -0700

I think this is an issue we'll have to live with. I don't think displaying
ACE, or  hexadecimal, would help. Unless you expect people to remember the
ACE labels for all the people they deal with and whose identity needs to be
established. I believe that if you need this kind of authentication, other
existing solutions like digital signatures are more likely to solve your
needs.

YA

---

From: "Soobok Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:42:19 +0900

Hi,
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Yves Arrouye" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2001 8:30 AM
Subject: RE: [idn] IDN security and ACE leakage

> established. 

ACE or hex dump should be an "AUXILIARY" representation of IDN, 
supplementing native-script representation.

But, for me,
Arabic domain names seem as randomly-gererated string as hexdump string.
Displaying arabic names in its native-scripts  does not help me to identify or
differentiate the site from others. (I would call it "utf8 leakage".)

>I believe that if you need this kind of authentication, other

In your argument,
There is a "Missing link" between automatic digital
signature verification and  its "human" association with 
"often undistinguishable or unrecognizable" 
IDN email/site name.

Moreover, scam email account owners are often able to get  
his/her personal email certificate issued without any face-to-face 
authentication from major certificate vendors.  

But, I believe  encouraging using digital signatures will make internet
more secure.
 
Soobok