Subject: [idn] Should we add U+FF0E FULLWIDTH FULL STOP to section 5.10 of Namep rep?

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:13:41 -0700

Hi,

I am not a Chinese expert myself, but have been told that it is quite likely
that U+FF0E would be generated instead of U+002E FULL STOP using a Chinese
IME, in a context where both ideographs and Roman characters were in close
proximity. This sounds defintely likely to happen if you have <CHINESE>.COM
for example where <CHINESE> is made up of Han characters. If that is really
the case, it could be useful to put U+FF0E in the same bag as U+3002 is in
Nameprep.

YA

PS: here's what someone I work with sent me on this topic (along with an
explanation on how easy it is to generate U+FF0E rather than U+002E while
typing mixed Chinese and Roman on MS Windows):

A plain Chinese user would use double wide roman characters in a context
containing both ideographs and roman characters in close proximity,
that's what my Chinese speaking coworkers tell me.

I find evidence that double wide punctuation is used in ideograph
dominated context, strangely even when embedded between single-wide
roman:
http://surf.sina.com.cn/cgi-bin/newlogin/regentry.cgi, near "Altavista"
or 
http://www.taiwan.com/info_10.htm, near "Cookies".

You can see clearly on sina.com or any other Chinese site that double
wide punctuation is used exclusively in ideograph context.