Subject: Re: [idn] Debunking the ACE myth

From: Måns Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:02:38 -0700

Subject: Re: [idn] Debunking the ACE myth Date: Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at
03:43:49PM +0900 Quoting Martin Duerst ([email-masked]):
>
> And please let's not forget: There is at least one form where
> if things are going to work, ACE won't be used. That's paper.
> If anybody is so stupid to buy an IDN to put its ACE on paper,
> s/he can of course do that, but I doubt that's what many
> people would want to do.
>

You forget the legal hassle that would arise if a TLD Registry
forgot to tell people what their ACE-encoded string is. Or the
support hell that arises -- think angry customer who screams "I
wanted "räksmörgås", not this bq-- blaha!!". I see a strong need
for registries to print out the ACE encoded form in all kinds of
correspondance with their domain name holders -- provided that ACE
is chosen.

--
Måns Nilsson MN1334-RIPE
http://vvv.besserwisser.org

How do you explain Wayne Newton's POWER over millions?  It's th'
MOUSTACHE ...  Have you ever noticed th' way it radiates SINCERITY,
HONESTY & WARMTH?  It's a MOUSTACHE you want to take HOME and introduce
to NANCY SINATRA!

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:25:30 +0900

At 01:02 01/07/24 -0700, M$BiO(Bs Nilsson wrote:
>wanted "r$Bdk(Bsm$Bvr(Bg$Bes(B", not this bq-- blaha!!". I see a strong need

That's definitely a good point. But that's not the general case
(i.e. making your domain name/email address known to the public).

Regards,   Martin.