Subject: [idn] Romanization is only a mean to register hostname

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 23:16:03 -0700

To all:
	draft-liana-idn-step is proposing Romanization 
for all languages in DNS only, as a script block specific ACE.
Advantages are: 1
to reduce fonts of different scripts to confuse users.
2.  It also proposes for  [nameprep] to include all other local
code standards, such that where an IDN is supported, 
it doesn't matter what display code it is, a user always
finds a local input keyboard to be used and the hostname 
is properly [nameprep]ed to be convered to access DNS.  
[nameprep] is huge already.  To add a few corresponding
subsets codepoints will not increase too much of its complexity.
3.  I suspect it may speed up [nameprep] processing, since it 
limits many scripts to very specific codeblocks quickly, for 
example Kana script,  to very small sections of [nameprep].

4.  In fact, for each hostname, there will be more than one
presentations to its users, an  ASCII version and a local script
version.  For Chinese, I can see there may be four  presentations:
 one for the Mainland users, one for Taiwan users,  one for Hong 
Kong users, one in ASCII.  (Traditional and simplied characters are 
often used together in Hong Kong.)

Liana