Subject: [idn] Cherokee letters look like uppercase Latin letters

From: "Soobok Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:39:18 +0900

If you look into http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U13A0.pdf,
You can find most of the Cherokee letters look identical to Latin Uppercase
letters.

Do we need to allow Cherokee letters in IDN?

Soobok Lee
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/cherokee.htm

Origin
The Cherokee syllabary, reputedly invented by Chief Sequoyah of the Cherokee,
was introduced in 1819. Sequoyah's descendants claim that he was the last
surviving member of his tribe's scribe clan and the Cherokee syllabary was
invented by persons unknown at a much earlier date.
By 1820, thousands of Cherokees had learnt the syllabary, and by 1830, 90% were
literate in their own language. Books, religious texts, almanacs and newspapers
were all published using the syllabary, which was widely used for over 100
years.
The syllabary is still used, but only by a fairly small number of people.
Efforts, such the Carnegie Cherokee Project, are being made to revive both the
Cherokee language and the Cherokee syllabary.
Used to write:
Cherokee (Tsalagi), a Southern Iroquoian language spoken by around 22,500 people
in North Carolina and Oklahoma.