Subject: [idn] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-arrouye-idn-ie5-resolution-00.txt

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:48:43 -0700

We wrote this in response to James Seng's e-mail asking if we could document
how IDNs resolve when typed in IE's command line.

YA

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 3:54 AM
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-arrouye-idn-ie5-resolution-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: IDN Resolution in Windows Internet Explorer 5.0
and 
                          Above
	Author(s)	: Y. Arrouye
	Filename	: draft-arrouye-idn-ie5-resolution-00.txt
	Pages		: 6
	Date		: 03-Jul-01
	
This document describes how internationalized domain names (IDNs) are being
resolved in the Windows Internet Explorer (IE) Web browser version 5.0 and
above. The resolution that is described in this document is currently
available on a limited basis for an existing test bed. This document focuses
on the different steps that are taken after a user enters an IDN in the
address bar of IE, up to when the relevant Web page is displayed in the
user's browser.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-arrouye-idn-ie5-resolution-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in, type
"cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-arrouye-idn-ie5-resolution-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-arrouye-idn-ie5-resolution-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:48:44 -0700

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 15:31:29 -0400

do you think you could update this 'documentation' to simply reflect
what is done by IE and to leave out the marketing languange touting
the supposed advantages of this approach?

(and unless you have knowledge that Microsoft will fail to implement
IDN correctly once it is standardized, could you also remove 
"and Above" from the title?)

I for one do not condone premature deployment of IDNs outside of 
controlled conditions, or abuse of the market by monopolies.  Value-neutral
documentation is one thing, but I think it's inappropriate to attempt 
to use IETF publication processes to promote abuses of the both monopoly
power and the protocol standards. 

Even those who have less objections than I do not necessarily regard this 
mechanism as a Good Thing.  

Keith