Subject: Re: [idn] Should we add U+FF0E FULLWIDTH FULL STOP to section 5.10 of Nameprep?

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:39:16 +0900

I haven't checked the details on this, but 'full-width period'
is definitely also used in Japanese, in particular for horizontal
writing. But having it appear between half-width Latin characters
is most probably an accident.

Regards,   Martin.

At 22:13 01/07/15 -0700, Yves Arrouye wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am not a Chinese expert myself, but have been told that it is quite likely
>that U+FF0E would be generated instead of U+002E FULL STOP using a Chinese
>IME, in a context where both ideographs and Roman characters were in close
>proximity. This sounds defintely likely to happen if you have <CHINESE>.COM
>for example where <CHINESE> is made up of Han characters. If that is really
>the case, it could be useful to put U+FF0E in the same bag as U+3002 is in
>Nameprep.
>
>YA
>
>PS: here's what someone I work with sent me on this topic (along with an
>explanation on how easy it is to generate U+FF0E rather than U+002E while
>typing mixed Chinese and Roman on MS Windows):
>
>A plain Chinese user would use double wide roman characters in a context
>containing both ideographs and roman characters in close proximity,
>that's what my Chinese speaking coworkers tell me.
>
>I find evidence that double wide punctuation is used in ideograph
>dominated context, strangely even when embedded between single-wide
>roman:
>http://surf.sina.com.cn/cgi-bin/newlogin/regentry.cgi, near "Altavista"
>or
>http://www.taiwan.com/info_10.htm, near "Cookies".
>
>You can see clearly on sina.com or any other Chinese site that double
>wide punctuation is used exclusively in ideograph context.
>

---

From: "Soobok Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:30:11 +0900

FULLWIDTH FULLSTOP(U+FF0E) is already compatibility decomposed into
Latin FULLSTOP (U+002E)  in KC Normalization step in NAMEPREP.
You can confirm that in page 4 of
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/UFF00.pdf .

If any label contains U+ff0e to be mapped into u+002e in kc norm in
nameprep,
it will be treated as error  in the following prohibition stage in nameprep
, since
u+002E. is prohibited.

MDNkit from JPNIC has huge tables for that  compatibility/canonical
mappings for all unicode points.

   1694   11778   73804 nameprepdata.c
   6806   38573  327222 unicodedata.c
   8500   50351  401026 total

Soobok Lee

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Duerst" <[email-masked]>
To: "Yves Arrouye" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: [idn] Should we add U+FF0E FULLWIDTH FULL STOP to section 5.10
of Nameprep?