Subject: [idn] RE: [idn] Debunking the ACE myth

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:10:44 -0700

> You're going to rely on the dq-- or whatever prefix to find 
> names in free
> text? Now I like IDNA even less than I did before.

FWIW a lot of MUAs do this today to let you follow a link in plain text
e-mail. They recognize URIs, even www.*, ftp.*, ..., host names, and turn
them into links. Nothing new.

YA

---

From: David Hopwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:51:09 +0100

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Yves Arrouye wrote:
> David Hopwood wrote:
> > names in free text? Now I like IDNA even less than I did before.
> 

Yes, and they frequently get it wrong. However, the appearance of the text
doesn't change apart from being underlined, so you can see when the client
has got it wrong (and compensate by cutting and pasting instead).
In IDNA, the client would be trying to decode ACE and redisplay it as
Unicode.

Also, URIs are only recognised now in some situations, certainly not all
those in which an ACE name could appear in a proposal like IDNA.

- -- 
David Hopwood <[email-masked]>

Home page & PGP public key: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/
RSA 2048-bit; fingerprint 71 8E A6 23 0E D3 4C E5  0F 69 8C D4 FA 66 15 01
Nothing in this message is intended to be legally binding. If I revoke a
public key but refuse to specify why, it is because the private key has been
seized under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act; see www.fipr.org/rip