Subject: Re: [idn] Debunking the UTF-8 myth

From: "Adam M. Costello" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:32:17 +0000

Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]> wrote:

> and the fact that ACE starts from UTF-16 only doesn't help.

That was true of some of the earlier ACEs (like RACE and LACE), but none
of the ACEs left in the pool (DUDE, AMC-ACE-Z, MACE) is based on UTF-16.
The encoders take as input a sequence of Unicode code points (integers
in the range 0..10FFFF).

AMC

---

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:17:58 -0700

A technical difference, I think, would be that according to UTR #17
(http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr17/) an ACE is more a transfer
encoding syntax (TES) (section 7 of the above document) than a character
encoding scheme (CES) like UTF-8 is (UTF-8 is also a CEF). But then I always
get confused when I think too much about all of these :) and the fact that
ACE starts from UTF-16 only doesn't help. I'm sure Mark Davis could
confirm/infirm that theory.

YA