Subject: RE: [idn] WG Update

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 19:52:11 -0700

> I disagree Unicode Consortium to the WG dated 02Sept
> recommendation.
> 
> Unicode has been very effective to collect scripts and glyphs
> of all scripts, and even comes up with Unified CJK character
> set, which is essential for IDN implementation.  I call this
>  the FIRST level of look-alike equivalence.

Unicode does not collect glyphs but characters (and cf. section 2.1 of UTR
#17, http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr17/). This is a fundamental
property of the Unicode standard. I am everything but a CJK expert, but
along the same idea, the Han characters were unified because they meant the
same thing (semantics) not because of glyph similarities.

YA

---

From: "James Seng/Personal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 12:23:29 +0800

> same thing (semantics) not because of glyph similarities.

erm, no. "meant the same thing" is not the right phrase for how CJK
unification works. The right answer is discussed in Section 2.2 (Unicode
Design Principle) of The Unicode Standard v3.0.

Anyhow, this thread does not belong IDN wg. Lets not get into this.

-James Seng