Subject: [idn] Announcing the clean-i18n mailing list

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 19:08:47 -0700

I've set up a mailing list where we can discuss progress on UTF-8 IDNs.
To subscribe, send a message to [email-masked].

If you love the beauty of Quoted-Printable, if you think that ACE IDNs
are the long-term IDN solution, and if you think that it's acceptable to
deploy a 7-bit Internet MTA, then this is not the mailing list for you.

The rest of us agree that everyone will eventually move to UTF-8, even
if something else happens in the short term. Programs that have trouble
with UTF-8 need to be fixed. The clean-i18n list is a good place to
point out what works and what doesn't.

The overall topic for the mailing list is ``Eliminating the horrors of
multiple character sets and encodings.'' This is not an IETF list;
contributors are encouraged to focus on real problems and solutions.

---Dan

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 7:38 AM
Subject: BOUNCE [email-masked]: Admin request of type /\bsubscribe\b/i
at line 2

> >From [email-masked] Fri Sep 28 16:38:41 2001
> Received: from muncher.math.uic.edu ([131.193.178.181])
> by psg.com with smtp (Exim 3.33 #1)
> id 15n7DN-000Kx7-00
> for [email-masked]; Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:38:41 -0700
> Received: (qmail 31793 invoked by uid 1001); 28 Sep 2001
23:36:55 -0000
> Date: 28 Sep 2001 23:36:55 -0000
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Mail-Followup-To: [email-masked]
> Automatic-Legal-Notices: Copyright 2001, D. J. Bernstein. My
transmission of this message to you does not constitute a copyright
waiver or any other limitation of my rights, even if you have told me
otherwise.
> From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Announcing the clean-i18n mailing list
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> Content-Disposition: inline
>
> I've set up a mailing list where we can discuss progress on UTF-8
IDNs.
> To subscribe, send a message to [email-masked].
>
> If you love the beauty of Quoted-Printable, if you think that ACE IDNs
> are the long-term IDN solution, and if you think that it's acceptable
to
> deploy a 7-bit Internet MTA, then this is not the mailing list for
you.
>
> The rest of us agree that everyone will eventually move to UTF-8, even
> if something else happens in the short term. Programs that have
trouble
> with UTF-8 need to be fixed. The clean-i18n list is a good place to
> point out what works and what doesn't.
>
> The overall topic for the mailing list is ``Eliminating the horrors of
> multiple character sets and encodings.'' This is not an IETF list;
> contributors are encouraged to focus on real problems and solutions.
>
> ---Dan
>

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 22:23:05 -0400

Thanks for setting up a list.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 23:07:48 -0400

> contributors are encouraged to focus on real problems and solutions.

and to ignore real depolyment issues.

---

From: "D. J. Bernstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Oct 2001 04:53:31 -0000

> and to ignore real depolyment issues.

You pushed Quoted-Printable without ever rationally evaluating the
deployment costs. You are now pushing ACE IDNs in exactly the same way.
So it's funny to see you talking about deployment.

Anyway, for the record: Web server version surveys, MTA surveys, and
other facts about deployment of cleanly internationalized software are
within the scope of the clean-i18n mailing list.

The objective is to eliminate the horrors of multiple character sets and
encodings. Deploying UTF-8 support is obviously a big part of reaching
this objective.

---Dan