Subject: RE: [idn] Renaming "AMC-Z"

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 11:55:59 -0400

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Paul Hoffman / IMC [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 11:46 AM
>To: IETF idn working group
>Subject: Re: [idn] Renaming "AMC-Z"
>
>
>How about just "ACE"? Or, if people really think there will be future 
>ACEs, "ACE-1"?

I'm for this sort of convention, though I'd suggest ACE-63 to note the
maximum length of encoded values.  It's sort of a "utilitarian but
descriptive" name in the model of FIPS algorithms like SHA.

<Scott/>

---

From: "Tim Langdell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:20:59 -0700

Just to bear in mind that this name will be used widely around the globe in
association with the registration and WhoIs of IDNs. Thus entirely
non-technically minded people will be faced with and have to deal with this
name.  (We've already had one person who asked us why the "RACE" of the name
was being requested -- "what does the ethnic background of the name have to
do with anything ..." )

I'd thus prefer a name that is easy to remember, short, not confusing, and
which is non-techie-sounding (there can I suppose always be the full
technical name that has "-63" or whatever attached to it which is used in
the tech community but not burdened on the global consumer/business
communities).

Tim