Subject: RE: [idn] Renaming "AMC-Z"

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 13:28:16 -0400

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Tim Langdell [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 1:21 PM
>To: Hollenbeck, Scott; IETF idn working group
>Subject: Re: [idn] Renaming "AMC-Z"
>
>
>Just to bear in mind that this name will be used widely around the globe in
>association with the registration and WhoIs of IDNs. Thus entirely
>non-technically minded people will be faced with and have to deal with this
>name.  (We've already had one person who asked us why the "RACE" of the
name
>was being requested -- "what does the ethnic background of the name have to
>do with anything ..." )
>
>I'd thus prefer a name that is easy to remember, short, not confusing, and
>which is non-techie-sounding (there can I suppose always be the full
>technical name that has "-63" or whatever attached to it which is used in
>the tech community but not burdened on the global consumer/business
>communities).

Asking a bunch on engineers to come up with a marketeer-satisfying name may
prove to be an interesting challenge!  Nonetheless, there's nothing much
simpler and easier to remember than Paul's suggestion of just "ACE" or
"ACE-1".

<Scott/>

---

From: Rick H Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:43:18 -0700 (PDT)

Might I suggest BACE - Best ACE.

I think thats what we did is pick the best one...

-rick

---

From: "Tim Langdell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:47:37 -0700

Yes. Quite agree. I suppose I am just asking that the engineers try to bear
in mind somewhat the use to which this will be put ... and then I guess the
marketing types can always come up with their version.

I too wonder if a simple "ACE" might work, and then have version numbers (or
whatever) for technical reference purposes to differentiate one ACE from
others?

Tim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Tim Langdell'" <[email-masked]>; "IETF idn working group"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2001 10:28 AM
Subject: RE: [idn] Renaming "AMC-Z"

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 19:43:17 +0200

--On 01-10-03 13.28 -0400 "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Asking a bunch on engineers to come up with a marketeer-satisfying name
> may prove to be an interesting challenge!  Nonetheless, there's nothing
> much simpler and easier to remember than Paul's suggestion of just "ACE"
> or "ACE-1".

My personal proposal would be to call whatever IDN recommends just "ACE".
If the algorithm is changed, the "official" name will still be "ACE".

Just like SMTP is still SMTP...

  paf

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 15:42:43 -0400

>whatever) for technical reference purposes to differentiate one ACE from

not sure if we really will have another ACE later. probability is pretty 
low. you never know, but given the potential spread of the ACE, the new one 
must be very appealing to overcome the deployment of it.

but if this ever happen,
then the current one can be identified as ACE
and the second one could be identified as ACE2 or ACEv2 or ....
(as with snmp, snmpv2, ip -> ipng, ...: i.e. the first one was the short 
name, the second one add a new suffix to it)

Marc.

>may