Subject: [idn] [ANNOUNCE] Stringprep implementation

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 08:22:24 +0100

Libstringprep is an implementation of the Stringprep specification
used by the Internationalized Domain Names IETF working group to
implement internationalized domain names.  It is licensed under the
GNU Lesser General Public License.

The library implements Unicode 3.2 NFKC normalization, mapping
characters in strings according to Stringprep, and the Bidirectional
Character handling steps of Stringprep.  The simple API consists of
two main functions, one for converting data from the system's native
representation into UTF-8, and one function to perform the Stringprep
processing.

The library contains the Nameprep and Kerberos 5 stringprep profiles,
but adding a new Stringprep profile is straightforward.  The library
is currently used by forthcoming SASL and Kerberos libraries to
process user names and passwords before they are input to
cryptographic operations.  No domain name related application use it.

The library has been tested on several different Unix systems
(including Linux, Solaris, IRIX, AIX, and Tru64).  It was designed to
be ported easily to Windows as well.

The project page of the library is available at:
http://www.josefsson.org/libstringprep/

For more information see:
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idn-charter.html
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-stringprep-07.txt
http://www.i-d-n.net/