Subject: [idn] Fw: Newswire: WALID Transfers Key Internet Patent to IDN Technologies

From: "Edmon Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:15:25 -0500

I assume most people have read this release from WALID.  Just in case you
havent.  Here it is for your reference.
Edmon

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 12:18 PM
Subject: Newswire: WALID Transfers Key Internet Patent to IDN Technologies

>
> 1. WALID Transfers Key Internet Patent to IDN Technologies, a Joint
Venture with IP Holdings; Internationalized Domain Name Patent to be
Licensed and Enforced.
> NPA 02-50 94804839 NDN- 214-0486-6746-6
>
> NO-AUTHOR
>
> 2002-12-03
> PP. NYTU01703122002
> DOCUMENT TYPE- PR Newswire
> SOURCE OF ARTICLE(S)- Newswire
> LANGUAGE- English, (DEF)
>
> ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- WALID, Inc. (WALID), a pioneer in internationalized
domain name (IDN) technology, announced today that it has decided to
aggressively license its patent on internationalizing domain names that
enables Internet users worldwide to access domain names and addresses with
foreign, non-English characters.
>
> To this end, WALID has transferred ownership of its key Internet patent
and related intellectual property (IDN Patents) to IDN Technologies LLC
(IDNT) with a mandate to license and enforce the IDN Patents. IDNT is a
joint venture between WALID and IP Holdings LLC (IP Holdings), an
intellectual property incubator focused on patent commercialization.
>
> The IDN Patents provide fundamental and key technology for IDNs. The
Internet Engineering Task Force's RFC 1035 standard does not allow
non-English characters in domain names, which has hampered the proliferation
of the Internet in non-English-speaking countries. Using the IDN patented
technology, Internet users can access web pages and use various Internet
applications with domain names that include foreign language and other
special characters. The popularity of IDNs is expected to surge in view of
the pent- up demand of non-English speaking Internet users and the Internet
Engineering Steering Group's recent approval on October 24, 2002 of a
proposed standard for "Internationalizing Domain Names in Applications".
>
> "We plan to pursue an aggressive licensing program to ensure the broad
proliferation of Walid's technology," said Alexander Poltorak, managing
director of IP Holdings. "Walid has created a fundamental technology which
will undoubtedly drive the next round of Internet expansion into the non-
English-speaking world. Soon people will be free to speak their native
tongue anywhere on the Internet."
> "Over the past several years, WALID tried to commercialize the patented
technology," said Dr. Walid Tout, WALID's co-founder and the inventor of the
patented technology. "Now that our technology is a de facto standard, we are
confident that IDN Technologies, backed by IP Holdings, will successfully
license our patents to the Internet industry," he concluded.
>
> Dr. Tout's IDN technology makes it possible for foreign language users to
go beyond the English characters that currently control the Internet domain
names . Using the patented technology, Internet users can access web pages
and use various Internet applications with domain names that include foreign
language and other special characters. This proprietary technology is
protected by the U.S. Patent No. 6,182,148, pending U.S. patent applications
and corresponding foreign patent applications.
>
> IDNT is exploring a number of alternatives pertaining to the licensing of
the IDN Patents, including ways to make the technology widely available so
as to promote the growth and use of IDNs.
>
> About IDN Technologies LLC
> IDN Technologies LLC, headquartered in Suffern, New York, is a joint
venture between WALID, Inc. and IP Holdings LLC, a leading intellectual
property incubator also located in Suffern, N.Y. IDN Technologies was formed
for the purpose of licensing and enforcing U.S. PatentNo. 6,182,148, a
related pending U.S. application, and correspondingforeign patent
applications throughout the world. For further information on IDN
Technologies contact IDN Technologies LLC, Montebello Park, 75 Montebello
Road, Suffern, NY 10901; telephone: (845) 368-4000; or e-mail:
[email-masked].
>
> About WALID, Inc.
> Headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, WALID, Inc. was established in 1999
to provide a complete solution for registering and resolving multilingual
Internet domain names . The WALID technology enables businesses,
organizations, and individuals to communicate, conduct global commerce and
establish a unique Internet presence in any language.
>
> About IP Holdings LLC
> IP Holdings LLC is an intellectual property incubator with a focus on
patent commercialization. For further information on IP Holdings contact IP
Holdings LLC, Montebello Park, 75 Montebello Road, Suffern, NY 10901;
telephone: (845) 368-4000; e-mail: [email-masked] or visit
www.ip-holdings.com.
> MAKE YOUR OPINION COUNT - Click Here
http://tbutton.prnewswire.com/prn/11690X07439176
> CONTACT: Joel Strasser of WALID, Inc., +1-212-447-9292 ext. 14
> Web site: http://www.ip-holdings.com/
>