Subject: issue 62

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 09:23:55 -0700

Folks,

  62) Deprecate BGP Authentication Optional Parameter from RFC1771
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Status: No Consensus
  Change: Potentially
  Summary: We are at consensus, in that we agree that we should deprecate
   the BGP Authentication Optional Parameter as described in RFC1771 in
   favor of the mechanism described in RFC2385.  We do not have new text for
   the draft yet, of if we are going to pull the reference entirely.

I would suggest to remove the following text from the draft:

         This document defines the following Optional Parameters:

         a) Authentication Information (Parameter Type 1):

            This optional parameter may be used to authenticate a BGP
            peer. The Parameter Value field contains a 1-octet
            Authentication Code followed by a variable length
            Authentication Data.

                0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
                +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                |  Auth. Code   |
                +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
                |                                                     |
                |              Authentication Data                    |
                |                                                     |
                +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

               Authentication Code:

                  This 1-octet unsigned integer indicates the
                  authentication mechanism being used. Whenever an
                  authentication mechanism is specified for use within
                  BGP, three things must be included in the
                  specification:

                  - the value of the Authentication Code which indicates
                  use of the mechanism,
                  - the form and meaning of the Authentication Data, and
                  - the algorithm for computing values of Marker fields.

                  Note that a separate authentication mechanism may be
                  used in establishing the transport level connection.

               Authentication Data:

                  Authentication Data is a variable length field that is
                  interpreted according to the value of the
                  Authentication Code field.

If there are objections to this, then I would add the following:

   This document deprecates the use of the Authentication Information
   optional parameter.

Yakov.

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:11:34 -0400

Yakov,

> I would suggest to remove the following text from the draft:

I would also suggest that if we remove it, in the section where

>          a) Authentication Information (Parameter Type 1):

Optional parameter type 1, Authentication Information, has been deprecated.

I hate reading specs where I can see an obvious hole in the numbering
scheme and not know why.

(Much like our error subcodes for UPDATE)

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 12:14:45 -0700

Jeff,

> Optional parameter type 1, Authentication Information, has been deprecated.

That would be fine.

Yakov.