Subject: MED for Originated Routes

From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 19:05:23 -0400

What should the MED be for originated routes to IBGP?  No Med?  All 1's?
Configurable?  Is it in the draft?  Is this a new issue?  Do you want more
questions?

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 23:45:53 -0400

In message <[email-masked]
> Configurable?  Is it in the draft?  Is this a new issue?  Do you want more

I didn't look this up in the draft yet, but the answer is:

  for IBGP:

   The MED you got from EBGP (if any)

   or configurable:

     strip off MED (if any)
     or configure a MED

  originating to IBGP, use no MED or configure one.

  for EBGP (IBGP learned or originating):

    default to no MED

    or configurable:

     put IGP cost into MED
     or configure a MED

That in a nutshell is what implementations do (AFAIK).

I don't think this level of detail needs to go into the protocol spec.
But I've been on the minority end of the consensus before so...  first
lets ask if we need this level of detail.  I think no.  Others?

Curtis