Subject: Removing MED (New Issue 1.0)

From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:23:16 -0400

In reference to:

"A BGP speaker MUST IMPLEMENT a mechanism based on local configuration
 which allows the MULTI_EXIT_DISC attribute to be removed from a
 route"

 Does anybody know how this can be done in IOS???  Looks like it cannot.

 Juniper???

 Other code???

 Change to "SHOULD"???

---

From: Enke Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 10:57:30 -0700

Jonathan:
As the MED value is treated as zero when the MED attribute is missing,
removing the MED attribute is really equivalent to setting the value to
zero. Based on this logic, one can argue that "MED removal" is supported
by multiple vendors.

However, I do see that the current text can be consolidated and cleaned up:

------------------------
5.1.4 MULTI_EXIT_DISC

   ...

   A BGP speaker MUST IMPLEMENT a mechanism based on local configuration
   which allows the MULTI_EXIT_DISC attribute to be removed from a
   route. This MAY be done prior to determining the degree of preference
   of the route and performing route selection (decision process phases
   1 and 2).

   An implementation MAY also (based on local configuration) alter the
   value of the MULTI_EXIT_DISC attribute received over an external
   link.  If it does so, it shall do so prior to determining the degree
   of preference of the route and performing route selection (decision
   process phases 1 and 2).

-------------------------

How about this:

   A BGP speaker MUST implement a mechanism based on local configuration
   which allows the value of MULTI_EXIT_DISC attribute of a received route
   to be altered. This shall be done prior to determining the degree of
   preference of the route and performing route selection (decision process
   phases 1 and 2).

--------------------------

-- Enke

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Removing MED (New Issue 1.0)
> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 13:23:16 -0400 
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
> 
> In reference to:
>