Subject: RE: issue 8

From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 17:28:20 -0400

IOS defaults to 5 seconds for MinRouteAdvertisementInterval for IBGP, which
I think is good since you want you AS to agree, whereas in EBGP you are more
concerned with not flapping.

-----Original Message-----
From: Yakov Rekhter [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 11:50 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: issue 8

Folks,

I'd like to propose the following text for "BGP Timers" section:

   BGP employs five timers: ConnectRetry (see Section 8), Hold Time
   (see Section 4.2), KeepAlive (see Section 8), MinASOriginationInterval
   (see Section 9.2.1.2), and MinRouteAdvertisementInterval (see
   Section 9.2.1.1).

   The suggested value for the ConnectRetry timer is 120 seconds.

   The suggested value for the Hold Time is 90 seconds.

   The suggested value for the KeepAlive timer is 1/3 of the Hold
   Time.

   The suggested value for the MinASOriginationInterval is 15
   seconds.

   The suggested value for the MinRouteAdvertisementInterval is 30
   seconds.

   An implementation of BGP MUST allow the Hold Time timer to be
   configurable, and MAY allow the other timers to be configurable.

   To minimize the likelihood that the distribution of BGP messages
   by a given BGP speaker will contain peaks, jitter should be
   applied to the timers associated with MinASOriginationInterval,
   Keepalive, MinRouteAdvertisementInterval, and ConnectRetry. A
   given BGP speaker shall apply the same jitter to each of these
   quantities regardless of the destinations to which the updates
   are being sent; that is, jitter will not be applied on a "per
   peer" basis.

Any objections ?

Yakov.

   The amount of jitter to be introduced shall be determined by
   multiplying the base value of the appropriate timer by a random
   factor which is uniformly distributed in the range from 0.75 to
   1.0.