Subject: RE: draft-ietf-idr-restart-05.txt

From: "Shankar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:50:54 +0530

Hi,
  IMHO, this is to address the route-flapping issues in BGP. The forwarding
Plane is not disturbed, i.e.. the data traffic is not disturbed when BGP restarts. 
Hence the restart is only in the control plane and not in the data plane.

Regds
Shankar K A

Hi,
I have a question regarding the graceful restart capability in BGP. In the
draft-ietf-idr-restart-05.txt it doesn't talk anything about the forwarding
plane.

The draft just talks about what is applicable when the BGP restarts. Why
doesn't it explicitly say anything about forwarding plane and control plane
as in OSPF draft? Does it mean that even if forwarding plane goes down also
this is applicable? Can somebody please throw some light on this issue.

Is it a mandatory requirement to have your forwarding plane up, when your
BGP restarts?

Am I missing something?

Regards,
Manav