Subject: issue 8: final text

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:22:31 -0700

Folks,

Here is the final text for the BGP Timers section:

   BGP employs five timers: ConnectRetry (see Section 8), Hold Time
   (see Section 4.2), KeepAlive (see Section 8), MinASOriginationInterval
   (see Section 9.2.1.2), and MinRouteAdvertisementInterval (see
   Section 9.2.1.1).

   The suggested default value for the ConnectRetry timer is 120
   seconds.

   The suggested default value for the Hold Time is 90 seconds.

   The suggested default value for the KeepAlive timer is 1/3 of
   the Hold Time.

   The suggested default value for the MinASOriginationInterval is
   15 seconds.

   The suggested default value for the MinRouteAdvertisementInterval
   is 30 seconds.

   An implementation of BGP MUST allow the Hold Time timer to be
   configurable, and MAY allow the other timers to be configurable.

   To minimize the likelihood that the distribution of BGP messages
   by a given BGP speaker will contain peaks, jitter should be
   applied to the timers associated with MinASOriginationInterval,
   Keepalive, MinRouteAdvertisementInterval, and ConnectRetry. A
   given BGP speaker may apply the same jitter to each of these
   quantities regardless of the destinations to which the updates
   are being sent; that is, jitter need not be configured on a "per
   peer" basis.

   The suggested default amount of jitter shall be determined by
   multiplying the base value of the appropriate timer by a random
   factor which is uniformly distributed in the range from 0.75 to
   1.0. A new random value should be picked each time the timer
   is set. The range of the jitter random value MAY be configurable.

With this in mind, I would suggest we mark this issue as closed.

Yakov.

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:18:21 -0400

> With this in mind, I would suggest we mark this issue as closed.

Generally agreed.

But does anyone actually implement both timers?
GateD and Juniper have outdelay.
Cisco has neighbor advertisement-interval.

In all cases, this is a general delay, not one that depends on
whether the route is being propagated or originated.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Justin Fletcher <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Oct 2002 09:14:25 -0700

Agreed

Justin Fletcher

--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:35:19 -0700

Jeff,

Wouldn't this be the same as implementing the timers seperately with the
same values?  I would argue that it a vendor wishes to do so they may,
but it doesn't affect interoperabilty or the text Yakov posted.  The
different values in the text are only "suggested defaults" so there is
room of implementations to choose different default values.

Andrew

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:43:15 -0400

> room of implementations to choose different default values.

The main reason I mentioned this was the fact that the lack of
implemented complex path aggregation was reason enough to call for
its removal from the spec.  If we're going to have this requirement,
this is another spot where its at issue.

In any case, I don't disagree with your assessment. :-)

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:33:55 -0700

Jeff,

> In any case, I don't disagree with your assessment. :-)

So, with this in mind, let's assume that we have a consensus
and close the issue.

Yakov.