Subject: bgp18 WG Last Call fsm event names

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:45:38 -0000

The event name used in the FSM show much variation to the point
sometimes where I am not clear that it is always the same event (eg
where the event name is qualified by a subset of the possible causes).
Assuming that it is, I propose the following changes to make the
wording consistent, clear and concise for event names.

** denotes changed text using the convention /'old text'/'new text'/

8. BGP Finite State machine

       Event1:  Manual start
       Event2:  Manual stop
       Event3:  Automatic start
     **Event4:  Manual start with passive TCP /estabishment/flag/
     **Event5:  Automatic start with passive TCP /establishment/flag/
       Event6:  Automatic start with bgp_stop_flap option set
     **Event7:  Auto//matic/ stop
       Event8:  Idle hold timer expires
       Event9:  Connect retry timer expires
     **Event10: Hold time//r/ expires
       Event11: Keepalive timer expires
       Event12: Open Delay timer expires
     **Event13: TCP connection valid indication
     **Event14: TCP connection invalid indication
     **Event15: TCP connection request /sent received an
ACK/acknowledged/
       Event16: TCP connection confirmed
       Event17: TCP connection fails
       Event18: BGPOpen
       Event19: BGPOpen with *Open Delay timer running
       Event20: BGPHeaderErr
       Event21: BGPOpenMsgErr
       Event22: Open collision dump
       Event23: NotifMsgVerErr
       Event24: NotifMsg
       Event25: KeepAliveMsg
       Event26: UpdateMsg
       Event27: UpdateMsgErr

8.2.2 Finite State Machine

      Connect State:

        If the BGP port receives a ** valid TCP connection indication
[Event 13],

        If the TCP connection receives **an invalid indication [Event
14]:

        If the TCP connection fails **/(timeout or disconnect)//
[Event17]

      Active State:

       If the local system receives a **valid TCP //indication/ [Event
13],

       If the local system receives a TCP connection failed [Event 17]
**/(timeout or receives connection
       disconnect)//,

      Open Sent:

       If a connection in Open Sent is determined to be the
       connection that must be closed, an **/administrative collision
       detect/Open collision dump/ [Event 22] is signaled to the state
machine. If such
       an **/administrative collision detect dump [Event 22]/event/ is

       If a TCP **//connection valid/ indication [Event 13] or
       TCP **//connection/ request **//acknowledged/ [Event 15]

      Open Confirm State:

       ... or receives a TCP **/Disconnect// connection fails/ [Event
17] from the

       In the event of **/TCP establishment//TCP connection valid
indication /[Event 13]

       .... the local system will
       **/issue a call/generate an Open/ collision dump [Event 22].
When the local
       system receives a **/call/open/ collision dump event [Event
22]/such an event/, the

      Established State:

       **/disconnect from the underlying TCP/TCP connection fails/
[Event17], it:

       ... it will process **/a Call/an Open/ Collision dump
event[Event 22].

Notes:
Event 4 title brought in line with text
Event 5 title brought in line with text
Event 7 title brought in line with text
Event 13 title shortened to be closer to text, text brought in line
Event 14 title shortened to be closer to text, text brought in line
Event 15 title brought in line with text
Event 17 text brought in line with title (text often introduces
qualifying conditions that are too restrictive)
Event 22 text brought in line with title

Tom Petch
[email-masked]