Subject: bgp18 WG Last Call fsm mib actions

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:18:57 -0000

I find the FSM inconsistent in specifying an action to place a value
in a MIB object when a NOTIFICATION is sent.

In the following six places it does not and for consistency I believe
it should.

Open Confirm State:

       If an OPEN message is received, all fields are check for
       correctness.  If the BGP message header checking [Event20]
       or OPEN message check detects an error (see Section
       6.2)[Event21], the local system:
              - sends a NOTIFICATION message with appropriate error
                code,
** MIB should be updated

       In response to any other event [Events 8-9, 12, 19, 26-27],
       the local system:
              - sends a NOTIFICATION with a code of Finite State
                Machine Error,
** MIB should be updated

Established State:

       If the local system receives an UPDATE message, and the
       Update message error handling procedure (see Section 6.3)
       detects an error [Event27], the local system:
             - sends a NOTIFICATION message with Update error,
** MIB should be updated

       If the Hold timer expires [Event10], the local system:
            - sends a NOTIFICATION message with Error Code Hold
              Timer Expired,
** MIB should be updated

       If a valid Open message [Event 18] is received, it will be
       checked to see if it collides (section 6.8) with any other
       session. If the BGP implementation determines that this
       connection needs to be terminated, it will process an Call
       Collision dump event[Event 22].  If this session needs to be
       terminated, the connection will be terminated by:
           - send a NOTIFICATION with a CEASE
** MIB should be updated

       In response to any other event [Events 8-9,12, 19-21] the
       local system:
           - sends a NOTIFICATION message with Error Code Finite
             State Machine Error,
** MIB should be updated

Tom Petch
[email-masked]