Subject: Re: [RPSEC] Re: draft-convery-bgpattack-00

From: Birger Toedtmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:24:49 +0100

David G. Boney schrieb am Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 02:12:00PM -0500:
> Are there any implementations with MD5? Does anyone even use it in practice?
> 
> I recently talked with the former founder of a small ISP. His response 
> was roughly, "Crypto?" They did not use it. Furthermore, there was no 
> encryption in the routing protocols with their upstream providers, UUNET 
> or Sprint.
> 
> I think a survey of who is actually using any of the encryption features 
> of any routing protocols would be informative.

Until recently I worked for a mid-size ISP in Northwestern Germany.  

A year ago I tried to put MD5 on both BGP uplinks it had.  The first
uplink provider, Versatel, did not even know about security issues with
BGP, neither did they know anything about MD5 on corresponding sessions.  
Consequently, they denied the request.

The second one, ECRC (which had been bought by Cable&Wireless in 2000),
knew about it, but said: "Eh, well, if you wan't it, we will do it with 
you.  However, you'll be the first one out of 100 customers, and we'll
have to configure it manually."

Regards,

Birger Tödtmann

_______________________________________________
RPSEC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rpsec