Subject: draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-20.txt

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 07:30:59 -0800

Folks,

The -20 version contains several (minor) editorial fixes. In addition
to the editorial fixes it contains the following in the FSM section
(the text was proposed by the Routing ADs):

   The data structures and FSM described in this document are conceptual
   and do not have to be implemented precisely as described here, as long
   as the implementations support the described functionality and their
   externally visible behavior is the same.

Yakov.
------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Tue, 01 Apr 2003 06:49:45 -0500
From:    [email-masked]
To:      IETF-Announce: ;
cc:      [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-20.txt

- --NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF
.

	Title		: A Border Gateway Protocol 4 (BGP-4)
	Author(s)	: Y. Rekhter
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-20.txt
	Pages		: 86
	Date		: 2003-3-31
	
The Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) is an inter-Autonomous System routing protoco
l.

The primary function of a BGP speaking system is to exchange network
reachability information with other BGP systems. This network reacha-
bility information includes information on the list of Autonomous
Systems (ASs) that reachability information traverses.  This informa-
tion is sufficient to construct a graph of AS connectivity from which
routing loops may be pruned and some policy decisions at the AS level
may be enforced.

BGP-4 provides a set of mechanisms for supporting Classless Inter-
Domain Routing (CIDR) [RFC1518, RFC1519]. These mechanisms include
support for advertising a set of destinations as an IP prefix and
eliminating the concept of network 'class' within BGP.  BGP-4 also
introduces mechanisms which allow aggregation of routes, including
aggregation of AS paths.

Routing information exchanged via BGP supports only the destination-
based forwarding paradigm, which assumes that a router forwards a
packet based solely on the destination address carried in the IP
header of the packet. This, in turn, reflects the set of policy deci-
sions that can (and can not) be enforced using BGP. BGP can support
only the policies conforming to the destination-based forwarding
paradigm.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-20.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-20.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-20.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

- --NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

- --OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-20.txt

- --OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-20.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

- --OtherAccess--

- --NextPart--

------- End of Forwarded Message

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:08:44 -0500

IDR folk,

>    externally visible behavior is the same.

As I am about to begin further work on the BGP MIBv2, the above statement
has consequences for the MIB.  If the model is purely conceptual,
do we still want to track the various flags in the MIB for the FSM?
We currently track states.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies