Subject: draft-mcpherson-bgp4-expereince-00.txt

From: Manav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:46:31 +0530

Hi Danny,
Some comments.

Going with what the introduction of the draft says that this document
"describes additional knowledge and understanding gained in the time
between when the protocol was made a Draft Standard and when it was
submitted for Standard".

>
>    Possible applications of BGP in the Internet are documented in [RFC
>    1772].
>
>    The BGP protocol was developed by the IDR Working Group of the
>    Internet Engineering Task Force. This Working Group had a mailing
>    list, [email-masked], where discussions of protocol features and

I think it'll be "has" :-)

>    operation are held. The IDR Working Group meets regularly during the
>    Internet Engineering Task Force meetings.  Reports of these meetings
>    are published in the IETF's Proceedings.

[snip]

>
> 8.  Internal BGP In Large Autonomous Systems

[snip]

>    BGP "Route Reflector" extensions has been defined in RFC 1966 to
>    alleviate the the need for "full mesh" IBGP.

Basically defined in 1966 and then updated in 2796.

Confederations? Though you did mention them in the section 5 - this seems
to be a better place for them!

> 9.  Internet Dynamics

We can also mention "BGP Route Flap Damping" [RFC 2439] here.

[snip]

> 14.  AS_SET Sorting
>
>
>    AS_SETs are commonly used in BGP route aggregation. They reduce the
>    size of AS_PATH information by listing AS numbers only once
>    regardless of any number of times it might appear in process of
>    aggregation. AS_SETs are usually sorted in increasing order to
>    facilitate efficient lookups of AS numbers within them. This
>    optimization is entirely optional.

I think that we can also mention that using AS_SET with the aggregate can
cause some route instabilities due to the fact that changes in the
attribute of the individual routes being summarized translate into changes
of the aggregate itself, causing the aggregate to be constantly withdrawn
and updated.

Do we need to mention Complex AS_PATH aggregation?

Regards,
Manav