Subject: [Idr] RE: FSM review - comments on Administrative events 8.1.1

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:15:08 -0400

Alex and Tom:

Suggested changed text in 8.1.2 -- please approve as AD reviewers.

AD comments:

> 8.1.2 Administrative Events
> 
> 
>    Please note that only Event 1 (manual start) and Event 2 (manual
>    stop) are mandatory administrative events. All other administrative
>    events are optional (Events 3-8).   Each event below has a name,
>    definition, status (mandatory or optional), and what optional session
>    attributes SHOULD be set at each stage.  

Can we make it clear whether these settings are the conditions under
which a given event is considered valid, or actions when an even is
seen?

Also, if those are the conditions, what should be done when the
settings are different?

==========

Text Resolution:

8.1.2 Administrative Events

   An administrative event is an event in which the operator interface
   and BGP Policy engine signal the BGP finite state machine to start 
   or stop the BGP state machine.  The basic start and stop indication
   are augmented by optional session attributes to signal a certain
   type of start or stop mechanism to the BGP FSM. An example of this 
   combination is event 5:  AutomaticStart_with_PassiveTCPEstablishment.
   With this event, the BGP implementation signals to the BGP FSM
   that the implementation is using an Automatic Start with option
   to use a Passive TCP Establishment.  The Passive TCP establishment
   signals that this BGP FSM will wait for the remote side to start
   the TCP establishment. 

   Please note that only Event 1 (manual start) and Event 2 (manual
   stop) are mandatory administrative events. All other administrative
   events are optional (Events 3-8).   Each event below has a name,
   definition, status (mandatory or optional), and what optional session
   attributes SHOULD be set at each stage.   

   The settings of optional session attributes may be implied by some
   implementations and not settable by external operator. Section 8.2.1.5
   describes these implied settings of the optional session attributes.
   The administrative states described below may also be implied
   by some implementations and not directly settable by an external
   operator.  Section 8.2.1.4 describes these implied states further. 

       Event1: ManualStart

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:15:08 -0400

Alex and Tom:

==========

Text Resolution:

       Event1: ManualStart