Subject: [Idr] Route refresh/ capability

From: "jai hari" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:03:41 +0000

Hi,
  I have a list of basic questions in RFC 2918/3392. Please let me know if 
these have already been
  answered in the mail-archives.

1. Is an implementation allowed to support route refresh capability without 
supporting Multiprotocol
   capability?  RFC 2918 states "If a BGP speaker receives from its peer a 
ROUTE-REFRESH message with
   the <AFI, SAFI> that the speaker didn't advertise to the peer ". What is 
the peer advertising if
   it did not support Multiprotocol capability?

2. RFC 3392 states: "If a BGP speaker that supports a certain capability 
determines that
   its peer doesn't support this capability, the speaker MAY send a
   NOTIFICATION message to the peer,"
   What about the case where the local speaker receives a capability it does 
not understand/support.?
   Should it send a notification - unsupported capability?

3. Are capabilities encoded as a single open optional parameter or multiple 
open optional parameters?
   Does the standard require it to be either way?

4. Is restarting hold timer for the session accepted upon receiving a route 
refresh request?

5. What should be the action ( ignore? ) if route refresh request is 
received from a peer that did
  not advertise this capability at all?

6. Is Open message optional parameter length really required to parse the 
message? ( Is header length
  not sufficient? )

7. How should errors in capability length field  that does not agree with 
header length ( or optional parameter length ) be handled? (What is the 
notification code? Is it open messag errorcode with subcode unspecified? )

8. Does the standard care how to handle a route refresh request while one is 
already pending? (Can we
  just abort and restart the previous adj-rib-out update? )

Thanks,
-Jaihari

_________________________________________________________________
MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: "John G. Scudder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:39:31 -0400

At 6:03 PM +0000 8/4/03, jai hari wrote:
>2. RFC 3392 states: "If a BGP speaker that supports a certain 
>capability determines that
>   What about the case where the local speaker receives a capability 
>it does not understand/support.?

No, it should not.

--John

---

From: "John G. Scudder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:39:31 -0400

No, it should not.

--John

---

From: Manav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:33:45 +0530

Jai,

> notification code? Is it open messag errorcode with subcode
unspecified? )

You send a NOTIFICATION message with the Cease (6) Error Code.

>   just abort and restart the previous adj-rib-out update? )

No.

~Manav

---

From: Manav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:33:45 +0530

Jai,

No.

~Manav