Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idr-rfc3065bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:27:05 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Autonomous System Confederations for BGP
	Author(s)	: P. Traina et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idr-rfc3065bis-00.txt
	Pages		: 16
	Date		: 2003-8-27
	
The Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) is an inter-autonomous system
routing protocol designed for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet
Protocol (TCP/IP) networks.  BGP requires that all BGP speakers
within a single autonomous system (AS) must be fully meshed.  This
represents a serious scaling problem that has been well documented in
a number of proposals.
This document describes an extension to BGP which may be used to
create a confederation of autonomous systems that is represented as a
single autonomous system to BGP peers external to the confederation,
thereby removing the 'full mesh' requirement.  The intention of this
extension is to aid in policy administration and reduce the
management complexity of maintaining a large autonomous system.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-rfc3065bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idr-rfc3065bis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-rfc3065bis-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:42:30 -0600

Folks,
There are quite a few changes (relatively speaking) in this version.
Some to do with attribute handling, some error handling, some basic
terminology cleanup, and a few miscellaneous other things.

I believe I've incorporated all feedback from the last version of the
draft.  Also, we had one change that didn't make it into this cut,
here's a diff of what's currently there and what'll be in the next
revision:

danny@rambler% diff 
../draft-ietf-idr-rfc3065bis-00/draft-ietf-idr-rfc3065bis-00.txt 
draft-ietf-idr-rfc3065bis-01.txt
493d492
<    In addition, the following rules SHALL be applied:
495,496c494,496
<    1) If the AS_PATH is internal to the local confederation (i.e., 
there
<       are only AS_CONFED_* segments) consider the neighbor AS to be 
the
---
 >    In addition, the following rules SHOULD be applied:
 >
 >    1) If the AS_PATH begins with an AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE, consider the
505c505
<       leftmost AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE AS.
---
 >       neighbor AS to be the leftmost AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE AS.
507,509c507,509
<    2) If the AS_PATH is external to the local confederation (i.e., 
there
<       are one or more non-AS_CONFED_* segments) consider the neighbor 
AS
<       to be the leftmost AS_SEQUENCE AS.
---
 >    2) Otherwise, if the first segment in the path which is not an
 >       AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE or AS_CONFED_SET is an AS_SEQUENCE, consider
 >       the neighbor AS to be the leftmost AS_CONFED_SEQUENCE AS.

Comments and feedback welcome.  Thanks!

-danny

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed Aug 27, 2003  8:27:05 AM America/Denver
> To: IETF-Announce: ;
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idr-rfc3065bis-00.txt
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
>
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:42:30 -0600

Folks,

danny@rambler% diff 
505c505
507,509c507,509

-danny