Subject: Re: WG Last Call on BGP MIB - normalised names

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:39:34 +0100

Normalised names - um.  Now we have normalised names in the base bgp
spec - good, great, why didn't I think of that? - they are ideal for
SNMP ( adding a 'bgp' prefix).

Except we already have some names in the MIB and they are different;
for me this means we should not be last calling the MIB until we are
last calling the base spec.

A simple change to the MIB is to specify ManualStart and ManualStop in
bgpPeerAdminStatus.

A change we should not make is to bring the states in line (eg
opensent as opposed to OpenSent).

But it is the timers that make me think we must wait.  We will need a
reference from MIB to optional attribute names as defined in the FSM
and I don't think we are yet agreed enough on the latter to make those
references.

Tom Petch,

-----Original Message-----
From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 August 2003 21:02
Subject: WG Last Call on BGP MIB

>Folks,
>
>This is to start the WG Last Call on advancing
draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mib-11.txt
>to a Proposed Standard. The Last Call ends Sep 2, 2003.
>
>Yakov.

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:42:19 -0400

> A simple change to the MIB is to specify ManualStart and ManualStop in

I don't believe we're allowed to change the names of enumerated values.
I will check on this.

> opensent as opposed to OpenSent).

Ditto.

> and I don't think we are yet agreed enough on the latter to make those

The v2MIB is intended to reflect all of the details of the updated
BGP specification.  This draft is largely intended to fix up the
previously published MIB, note some obvious changes and to fix
a problem with the traps.  So, don't expect to see any sweeping changes
reflected here.

Generally, the idea is to not disrupt operator's lives any more than
is necessary.  Unfortunately, the "fix" to the traps/notifications
will do that.

(More on that in a later email.)

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:42:19 -0400

Ditto.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:30:48 -0400

> I don't believe we're allowed to change the names of enumerated values.

Survey says:
bzzt!  We can't do this.

We can do what we like in the v2 MIB for names, but they must be
lowercase as the first letter.  This means the mapping can't be
1:1 exactly for the FSM states as currently documented.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:30:48 -0400

Survey says:
bzzt!  We can't do this.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies