Subject: [Idr] draft-dubois-bgp-planned-maintenance-00.txt

From: "DUBOIS Nicolas FTRD/DAC/ISS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:54:39 +0200

Hi,

We would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks 

Nicolas, Bruno, Benoit

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Graceful Shutdown of BGP Sessions
	Author(s)	: N. Dubois, et al.
	Filename	: draft-dubois-bgp-planned-maintenance-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2004-6-30
	
To ease the maintenance of BGP-4 sessions and limit the amount of 
   traffic that is lost during planned maintenance on routers, a 
   specific mechanism is proposed in order to gracefully shutdown a 
   router or a session. 
   It's proposed that a router first withdraw its route to its peer 
   to initiate their convergence. After a timer the router can proceed 
   with the closing of the BGP sessions and consequently remove its 
   peers'routes from it's RIB (Routing Information Base).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dubois-bgp-planned-maintenance
-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
i-d-announce-request at ietf.org with the word unsubscribe in the body
of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-dubois-bgp-planned-maintenance-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	mailserv at ietf.org.
In the body type:
	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-dubois-bgp-planned-maintenance-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dubois-bgp-planned-maintenance
-00.txt>
<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dubois-bgp-planned-maintenance
-00.txt> 

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 14:52:19 -0700

Hi Nicolas,

Would it be possible to either add a section to your draft or at least 
discuss on the list why existing BGP attributes if properly used can't 
achieve the same goal of graceful shutdown of the BGP peer ?

Since your proposal already calls for full table churn I am not sure if 
using any existing tools would not help. Depending on the e/iBGP cases a 
router can effectively discourage peers from using his paths simply by 
injecting right values of MED, local preference or cost community with 
pre-best path POI.

Also I could have missed it but where is the boundary of your graceful 
shutdown ? Is this always only peer to peer (1:N) ?

Rgs,
R.

 > DUBOIS Nicolas FTRD/DAC/ISS wrote:
 >
> Hi,
>