Subject: [Idr] Aggregation and dampening

From: Maneesh Chawla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 16:32:09 +0530

Hi All,
           I have a question on aggregation and dampening.

Consider the topology,

R1-----R3-------R4
          |
          |
R2------|

1. R1 and R2 are advertising 66.0.0.0/32 and 66.0.0.1/32 to R3 respectively.
2. R3 is aggregating the routes (with the as-set command ) and advertising
to R4. Since it is using the as-set option, all the path attributes are
considered and if one of the routes flap , say the route from R2, the
aggregate flap to R4 will flap.
3. Now , connfigure dampening also on R3.

        Is it right to expect that now when the route from R2 flaps, it
should be damped so as to not affect the aggregate ? To put it more
elaboratively , say  the route from R2 flaps and reaches supress value and
is thereby suppressed, should it still contribute to the aggregate or stop
contributing to the aggregate ?
        Is this implementation specific ?

Thanks
Maneesh

p.s : Sorry , if it is a very basic question in this forum.
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Anjan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:11:21 +0530

Hi Maneesh,

I feel Dampening should be considered irrespective of what you are doing
in aggregation.

When dampening is configured, route can take two values Dampened or
History.

Dampened route is valid to advertise.  History route is not valid to
advertise.

So whether the route can be considered for aggregation or not, depends
on this state - dampened or history.

With specific answer to your question, If the route is in Dampened state
it should contribute for Aggregation.

If it is in History state it should not contribute for Aggregation.

Any different opinion in the group?

Regards,

Anjan

************************************************************************
***************

            This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information
from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose
address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in
any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure,
reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended
recipient's) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Maneesh Chawla
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:32 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Idr] Aggregation and dampening

Hi All,

Consider the topology,

R1-----R3-------R4
          |
          |
R2------|

1. R1 and R2 are advertising 66.0.0.0/32 and 66.0.0.1/32 to R3
respectively.
2. R3 is aggregating the routes (with the as-set command ) and
advertising to R4. Since it is using the as-set option, all the path
attributes are considered and if one of the routes flap , say the route
from R2, the aggregate flap to R4 will flap. 
3. Now , connfigure dampening also on R3. 
   
        Is it right to expect that now when the route from R2 flaps, it
should be damped so as to not affect the aggregate ? To put it more
elaboratively , say  the route from R2 flaps and reaches supress value
and is thereby suppressed, should it still contribute to the aggregate
or stop contributing to the aggregate ? 
        Is this implementation specific ?

Thanks
Maneesh

---

From: Anjan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:26:15 +0530

Sorry, Dampened route I mean here is the 'route that just came out of
Dampened state'..

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Anjan
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:11 PM
To: 'Maneesh Chawla'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Idr] Aggregation and dampening

Hi Maneesh,

Regards,

Anjan

-----Original Message-----

Hi All,

Consider the topology,

R1-----R3-------R4
          |
          |
R2------|

Thanks
Maneesh

---

From: Maneesh Chawla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 11:16:31 +0530

Thanks for the reply Anjan.
I am sorry I forgot to mention that when I aggregate I use the
"summary-only" option so in this case the contributing routes are already
suppressed. Now , what should happen when dampening is configured ?

Thanks
Maneesh

On 1/10/06, Anjan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ***************************************************************************************
>
> from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address
> is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
> (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction,
> or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
> prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
> phone or email immediately and delete it!
>
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf Of *
> Anjan
> *Sent:* Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:11 PM
> *To:* 'Maneesh Chawla'; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* RE: [Idr] Aggregation and dampening
>
>
>
> Hi Maneesh,
>
>
>
> So whether the route can be considered for aggregation or not, depends on
> this state – dampened or history.
>
>
>
> ***************************************************************************************
>
> from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address
> is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
> (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction,
> or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
> prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
> phone or email immediately and delete it!
>
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On Behalf Of *Maneesh
> Chawla
> *Sent:* Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:32 PM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* [Idr] Aggregation and dampening
>
>
>
> Hi All,