Subject: [Idr] [idr] Request for comments on two recently uploaded draft verions

From: "Thomas M. Knoll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 20:16:43 +0200 (MEST)

Dear WG members,

new versions and drafts are online, which I would kindly ask the IDR WG 
for further comments.
At the same time, I would like to thank Brian, David, Robert, Greg, 
Wolfgang, Rolf, Ruediger and others for their helpful online or off-list 
hints and comments.

The reason, why two drafts are now up, is twofold.
The two designs differ in the fact, that the "older" one uses a transitive 
attribute, concentrates on cross-layer marking and uses two mechanisms in 
order to detect ignoring transit ASes. It allows for flexible class sets 
and for attribute signalling across "QoS attribute death" ASes.
The new draft uses two non-transitive attributes and concentrates on 
DiffServ behaviour signalling only. It is non-transitive and therefore 
confined to attribute supporting peered network clouds. It allows 
providers to signal their neighbour a very basic Class of Service support 
(EF,AF,BE) optionally tagged with AS-wide or Update message wide rate 
limitations.
Both drafts make now use of the PHB ID Codes from RFC 3140. This way, the 
QoS attribute now enables providers to associate their locally applied 
DSCP with the inter-domain PHB ID Code.
If requested, both drafts could actually be used together for basic CoS 
support combined with cross-layer marking signalling.

1. New Draft version draft-knoll-idr-qos-attribute-02
Version 2 of this draft now includes the mentioned RFC3140 encoding, a 
much simpler technology type enumeration, the IANA assignment, a problem 
statement, a section on related work, the tunnelled transport of transit 
traffic as strong recommendation and a clear distinction between the
internally differentiated class setup and the externally signalled one.
The current draft is available at:
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-knoll-idr-qos-attribute-02

2. New Draft draft-knoll-idr-cos-interconnect-00
This second draft is the result of the "Better-Net" idea. A future 
Internet setup, which supports rate limited EF, AF Group and BE transit 
tunnels, could easily distinguish EF, AF and BE traffic with  class-based 
over-provisioning and ingress rate limitation.
Such a simple setup would cut down on over-provisioning costs and provide 
class-based differentiation for the general Internet traffic load.
This is a general Internet enhancement, which will certainly be 
accompanied by SLA-based mutual or multi-lateral agreements for
specific interconnections and special forwarding treatment paths.
This new draft is available at:
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-knoll-idr-cos-interconnect-00

3. Email problems
There were some relay problems in our local email server, which led to 
some email loss in the past weeks.
If you send me an email and did not receive a reply from my end, this was 
due to the mentioned problems.
Sorry for this inconvenience and I ask you to resend your email to me.

4. IDR off-line email archive
Keeping track of IDR email list activities is quite easy through the 
online discussion archive.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/current/maillist.html
Googling for search terms within the archive is also quite easy with the 
following search string:
   "<search term> +site:http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/"

However, if one wants to egrep through the messages or simply to use the 
archive off-line, I prepared a quick off-line copy today, which is
available at:
http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/etit/kn/team/knoll/idr_email_archive_08_07_15.tar.gz

Regards,
Thomas M. KNoll

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr