Subject: [Idr] I-D Action:draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-sets-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:00:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Deprecation of the use of BGP AS_SET, AS_CONFED_SET.
	Author(s)       : W. Kumari, K. Sriram
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-sets-03.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2011-04-24

This document deprecates the use of the AS_SET and AS_CONFED_SET
types of the AS_PATH in BGPv4.  This is done to simplify the design
and implementation of the BGP protocol and to make the semantics of
the originator of a route more clear.  This will also simplify the
design, implementation and deployment of ongoing work in the Secure
Inter-Domain Routing Working Group.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-sets-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:40:33 +0200

Um.  The trouble with tinkering is that the text may lose its coherence;
I know, I've done it too often myself.

Two points.

"Without AS_SET aggregates must always contain only
   less specific prefixes (not less than or equal to), and must never
   aggregate an exact match.  "
I find a clear, easy to apply statement of what to do, whereas I
easily get lost in Appendix A, so I would be happy not to have
Appendix A.  By contrast, I would like to give this sentence more
emphasis and would do so by making it the start of a new
paragraph.

But
" Route
   aggregation is possible under some conditions without the use of
   AS_SETs (please see Appendix A for relevant discussion and
   suggestions)."
I think prone to mislead.  OK, it is a part of a paragraph about
using AS-SET but still think that it overstates the case.  We don't
want everyone to de-aggregate everything!
Suggest
" Route
   aggregation
  that was previously performed by proxy aggregation is still
possible under some conditions without the use of
   AS_SETs (please see Appendix A for relevant discussion and
   suggestions)."

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:00 PM
Subject: [Idr] I-D Action:draft-ietf-idr-deprecate-as-sets-03.txt

> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> _______________________________________________
> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr
>