Subject: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:13:21 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Revised Error Handling for BGP UPDATE Messages
	Author(s)       : John G. Scudder
                          Enke Chen
                          Pradosh Mohapatra
                          Keyur Patel
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-03.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-11-21

Abstract:
   According to the base BGP specification, a BGP speaker that receives
   an UPDATE message containing a malformed attribute is required to
   reset the session over which the offending attribute was received.
   This behavior is undesirable as a session reset would impact not only
   routes with the offending attribute, but also other valid routes
   exchanged over the session.  This document partially revises the
   error handling for UPDATE messages, and provides guidelines for the
   authors of documents defining new attributes.  Finally, it revises
   the error handling procedures for a number of existing attributes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-error-handling

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-error-handling-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Enke Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:20:38 -0800

Hi, folks:

The revised version includes the following changes:

     o specify local repair for only the "Optional bit" and "Transitive" 
bit in the Attribute Flags
     o use treat-as-withdraw for missing mandatory attributes
     o reset session for duplicate MP_REACH or MP_UNRAECH
     o specify precedence for error handling actions: session reset, 
treat-as-withdraw, attribute discard
     o cover all attributes specified in the base spec, community, 
ext-community (including
        the ipv6 address based ext-community)
     o reference RFC4760 (instead of the rfc4760bis) to avoid circular 
dependencies

Please note that:

     o The MP_REACH and MP_UNREACH will be covered in a re-spin of the 
existing MP extension draft.
     o The RR related attributes will be covered by a RR re-spin.

Regards,   -- Enke

On 11/21/12 11:13 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt