Subject: [Idr] draft-rosen-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 11:47:38 -0400

I would like to call this draft to the attention of the WG.

This draft proposes to reorganize the IANA registries for BGP Extended
Communities, so that there are separate registries for types and sub-types,
and so that the values that are available for assignment in one registry do
not depend upon the values that have already been assigned in another.

Yakov and I put this proposal together after hearing some complaints from
IANA about the difficulty of figuring out which values are available in
which registries.  We also found some mistakes in the registries and some
inconsistencies in the drafts that define the registries.  The intention of
this draft is to make it easier for IANA to fulfill its clerical function,
and to make it easier to understand what to request of IANA when a new
Extended Community is defined.  No changes to existing implementations or
deployments are required.

If you care about this sort of stuff, please review and provide your
comments.

Subject: I-D Action: draft-rosen-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 10:50:46 -0700
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements only <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IANA Registries for BGP Extended Communities
	Author(s)       : Eric C. Rosen
                          Yakov Rekhter
	Filename        : draft-rosen-idr-extcomm-iana-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2013-05-30

Abstract:
   This document reorganizes the IANA Registries for the type values and
   sub-type values of BGP Extended Communities attribute and the BGP
   IPv6-Address-Specific Extended Communities attribute.  This is done
   in order to remove inter-dependencies among the registries, thus
   making it easier for IANA to determine which codepoints are available
   for assignment in which registries.  This document also clarifies the
   information that must be provided to IANA when requesting an
   allocation from one or more of these registries.  These changes are
   compatible with the existing allocations, and thus do not affect
   protocol implementations.  The changes will however impact the "IANA
   Considerations" sections of future protocol specifications.  This
   document updates RFCs 4360 and 5701.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rosen-idr-extcomm-iana

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-idr-extcomm-iana-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt