Subject: [Idr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-idr-aigp-16.txt> (The Accumulated IGP Metric Attribute for BGP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:08:49 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Inter-Domain Routing WG (idr) to
consider the following document:
- 'The Accumulated IGP Metric Attribute for BGP'
  <draft-ietf-idr-aigp-16.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-04-08. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Routing protocols that have been designed to run within a single
   administrative domain ("IGPs") generally do so by assigning a metric
   to each link, and then choosing as the installed path between two
   nodes the path for which the total distance (sum of the metric of
   each link along the path) is minimized.  BGP, designed to provide
   routing over a large number of independent administrative domains
   ("autonomous systems"), does not make its path selection decisions
   through the use of a metric.  It is generally recognized that any
   attempt to do so would incur significant scalability problems, as
   well as inter-administration coordination problems.  However, there
   are deployments in which a single administration runs several
   contiguous BGP networks.  In such cases, it can be desirable, within
   that single administrative domain, for BGP to select paths based on a
   metric, just as an IGP would do.  The purpose of this document is to
   provide a specification for doing so.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-aigp/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-aigp/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1160/
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1159/