Subject: [Idr] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 13:38:44 +0000

We (the authors) have just submitted an updated -01 version:

https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01.txt
 
Sue had posted a WG adoption call request (with -00 version):
 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/current/msg14550.html
  
Please take a look at the updated version. The diff can be viewed at:

https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01 

Key changes (in -01 version relative to -00):
* Section 2 -  Related Prior Work - has been newly added
* There is substantial new material in Section 5:  Design Rationale and Discussion.
* Many useful changes have been made to improve the presentation and clarity.
* Brian Dickson has been added as a co-author.

This work was presented in Dallas, and again an updated version was presented in the
IDR interim meeting on June 29. The slides of the presentation are at:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2015/06/29/idr/slides/slides-interim-2015-idr-7-0.pdf  

Comments/questions would be very much appreciated.

Sriram
 
________________________________________
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, July 5, 2015 8:26 AM

A new version of I-D, draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Kotikalapudi Sriram and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation
Revision:       01
Title:          Methods for Detection and Mitigation of BGP Route Leaks
Document date:  2015-07-05
Group:          idr
Pages:          17
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01

Abstract:
   In [I-D.ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition], the authors have
   provided a definition of the route leak problem, and also enumerated
   several types of route leaks.  In this document, we first examine
   which of those route-leak types are detected and mitigated by the
   existing origin validation (OV) [RFC 6811] and BGPSEC path validation
   [I-D.ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol].  Where the current OV and BGPSEC
   protocols don't offer a solution, this document suggests an
   enhancement that would extend the route-leak detection and mitigation
   capability of BGPSEC.  The solution can be implemented in BGP without
   necessarily tying it to BGPSEC.  Incorporating the solution in BGPSEC
   is one way of implementing it in a secure way.  We do not claim to
   have provided a solution for all possible types of route leaks, but
   the solution covers several, especially considering some significant
   route-leak attacks or occurrences that have been observed in recent
   years.  The document also includes a stopgap method for detection and
   mitigation of route leaks for the phase when BGPSEC (path validation)
   is not yet deployed but only origin validation is deployed.

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 11:29:39 -0400

Sriram: 

Here's an ASPath ORF draft that Keyur and I think might help the non-BGPSEC
version of the route leaks.  The ORF filters the ASPATH.  It's not secure
like the BGPSEC - but perhaps it will help.

Sue 

-----Original Message-----
From: Idr [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sriram, Kotikalapudi
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2015 9:39 AM
To: [email-masked] wg
Cc: Susan Hares
Subject: [Idr] Fw: New Version Notification for
draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01

https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-m
itigation-01.txt

  

https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-miti
gation-01 

Key changes (in -01 version relative to -00):
* Section 2 -  Related Prior Work - has been newly added
* There is substantial new material in Section 5:  Design Rationale and
Discussion.
* Many useful changes have been made to improve the presentation and
clarity.
* Brian Dickson has been added as a co-author.

This work was presented in Dallas, and again an updated version was
presented in the IDR interim meeting on June 29. The slides of the
presentation are at:

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/interim/2015/06/29/idr/slides/slides-interim
-2015-idr-7-0.pdf  

Sriram

A new version of I-D,
draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Kotikalapudi Sriram and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation
Revision:       01
Title:          Methods for Detection and Mitigation of BGP Route Leaks
Document date:  2015-07-05
Group:          idr
Pages:          17
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-m
itigation-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitig
ation/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation
-01
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-miti
gation-01

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 20:49:54 +0000

Sue,

The pdf you attached seems to be version -10 of the ASPath ORF draft. 
We referenced version-09 and discussed its applicability in the updated route leak draft in Sections 4 and 5.
Content wise, version -10 of ASPath ORF draft is very close to version -09. 
But we'll update our reference list anyway in the next spin.
Will be happy to discuss it further with you and Keyur in Prague.

BTW, version -10 of the ASPath ORF draft is titled "Analysis of Existing work for I2NSF"...  typo?

Sriram 

________________________________________
From: Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, July 5, 2015 11:29 AM
To: Sriram, Kotikalapudi; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Idr] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-sriram-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-01

Sriram:

Sue

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 17:41:36 -0400

Sriram:

You are correct.  I sent you an updated version of the ASPath ORF. 
I included the -10 version because it has the error condition handling
section.   Let me know if you think the error handling of the ORF will cause
any security issues. 

Sue 
PS - Version -10 is not posted yet due to a slight problem with posting. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Sriram, Kotikalapudi [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2015 4:50 PM
To: Susan Hares; [email-masked]
Cc: Keyur Patel (keyupate); [email-masked]; Montgomery, Douglas
Subject: Re: [Idr] Fw: New Version Notification for

Sue,

The pdf you attached seems to be version -10 of the ASPath ORF draft. 
We referenced version-09 and discussed its applicability in the updated
route leak draft in Sections 4 and 5.
Content wise, version -10 of ASPath ORF draft is very close to version -09. 
But we'll update our reference list anyway in the next spin.
Will be happy to discuss it further with you and Keyur in Prague.

BTW, version -10 of the ASPath ORF draft is titled "Analysis of Existing
work for I2NSF"...  typo?

Sriram 

Subject: RE: [Idr] Fw: New Version Notification for

Sriram:

Sue