Subject: Changes made to IDMEF draft

From: Mike Erlinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:49:29 -0800

What follows are the changes that have been made to IDMEF based on
IESG comments.

1. Created Appendix A, "An Overview of UML and XML as Used in This Document,"
   and moved the "generic" introductions to UML and XML into it.
   Specifically:

	- Moved all of Section 3.1 ("Unified Modeling Language")

	- Moved all of Section 3.2 ("XML Document Type Definitions")

	- Moved the non-IDMEF-specific parts of Section 3.3 ("XML Documents")

   The IDMEF-specific parts of Section 3.3 are now in Section 3.1 ("IDMEF XML
   Documents"), and Section 3.4 is now Section 3.2.

   This was an IESG-mandated change.
   
2. Inserted a new Section 10, "IANA Considerations."  Under this section:

	- All the attribute values assigned in the tables within the spec
  	  (e.g., Address.type, Impact.category, etc.) will be put into a
	  registry maintained by the IANA.

	- New attribute values may be added to the registry by publishing
	  an RFC describing the value and its purpose.

	- New classes and class attributes may only be added by going through
	  the whole IETF Consensus process.

   Note that this does not apply to items created under the defined extension
   rules (under AdditionalData), but rather applies to how to make those
   extensions a part of the specification.

   This was an IESG-mandated addition.

3. Changed the "suggested" lists of attribute values for File.fstype and
   FileAccess.type to fixed (only values allowed) lists, to allow them to be
   registered in the IANA registry.

   THIS NEEDS TO BE CHECKED -- ARE VALUES MISSING?

4. Extended the SNMPService class to contain three new attributes:

	securityName, contextName, and contextEngineID

   These take the place of the SNMP community string when using SNMPv3.  The
   DTD says zero or one of "community" or the triple above may be given.

   THIS NEEDS TO BE CHECKED BY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS MORE ABOUT SNMP.

5. Modified the examples to use the "official" example domain names (hostname.
   example.com and hostname.example.net) from RFC 2606 and the "official"
   example IP address range (192.0.2.0/24).

   This was an IESG-suggested change.

mike

-- 
Mike Erlinger, Professor and Chair Computer Science
www:      http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~mike
email:    [email-masked]
smail:    Computer Science Dept., Harvey Mudd College,
          301 E. 12th Street, Claremont, CA, 91711 
          909-621-8912,   FAX: 909-607-8364