Subject: Re: XML Schema -vs- XML DTD

From: "David A. Curry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:09:13 -0500

Well,

Having heard two replies in favor and none against, we will take Andy Newton
up on his offer to provide an XML Schema for the IDMEF.

Look for an updated Internet-Draft in the late April/early May time frame.

--Dave

>>>>> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, David A. Curry, identified as "David" below, wrote:

  David> As those of you who've been in the group for a long time know, we've
  David> always sort of had this vague "sometime later" goal to move away
  David> from the XML DTD representation of IDMEF and toward an XML Schema
  David> representation.

  David> There are some good reasons for using an XML Schema over an XML DTD
  David> such as better support for data types (which we kind of allude to in
  David> the drafts), proper support for name spaces, and other things.  (See
  David> the list archives for more.)

  David> Anyway, we have received an offer from Andy Newton to create an XML
  David> Schema for the IDMEF, which we could then integrate into the draft
  David> as a replacement for existing the XML DTD.  This would mean another
  David> version of the draft, and that version would be delayed until sometime
  David> in April because of Andy's schedule.

  David> Or, we can move forward with the draft we have.

  David> If you have an opinion on this, please voice it to the list no later
  David> than Wednesday, Feb. 26th.

  David> --Dave