Subject: RE: [Ieprep] FW: The Spread of the Sapphire/Slammer SQL Worm

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 03:12:24 -0600

> > > Government-run networks seemed to have as many infected 
> > > systems as everyone else.  Allowing authorized government 
> > > users to "exempt" themselves from network management  
> > > controls would haveprobably been unwise in this case.
>  
> We can probably add a paragraph or two to the section to bring 
> up the specific subject of Network Management Controls (and cite 
> what they are and what they pertain to) in the next version of the
> draft.

I am just curious on what you will write except Sean Donelan's
point. I remember an amusing comment in the Atlanta meet that 
spam filters should be exempted for priority mails. 

>  we're currently bundling the subject of IP network management
> within the area of traffic engineering. 

what work your referring too? Any middleware/XML stuff in academia?
The known NM package is ATT's Netscope with couple of other packages
from HP etc. Also,TEWG is busy with diff-te-reqts and tewg-measure 
specs.

>  if folks feel we should have a separate section on network
>   management with specific points to be madeabout SNMP 
>  (beyond the fact that it will probably exist :-)

By the time, your frame work becomes RFC, XML would have replaced 
SNMP :) All companies are developing their own standards (Cisco- SAA) 
As per recent iab-nm-report, their exists lot of skepticism around
use of SNMP. 

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: Ken Carlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:43:13 +0000

> from HP etc. Also,TEWG is busy with diff-te-reqts and tewg-measure

i have no desire to bring up work that is only being advanced in
academia.  unless one sees a vendor working on a given area, or on
something similar, i feels its best to avoid purely academic pursuits in
the framework document.

> As per recent iab-nm-report, their exists lot of skepticism around

i don't follow.  regardless of the advances in using or incorporating
XML, UML, etc., SNMP will still be around, and in my view still
represents a foundation for network management.  nothing beats the
installed base.  the headache for vendors is that fragmentation of
efforts will continue to flourish.  as for the skepticism about SNMP,
that approaches the area of religious wars, and i'd rather let others
rant.  i also assume that it still follows that network operators still
avoid the SET commands like the plague, and i don't know if XML-type
work will change that.

regards,

-ken