Subject: [Ieprep] Possible work item

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:23:06 -0500

In an attempt to provide a context for a BCP, I'm proposing the below.  Does
the group feel this type of document would be helpful?  Please toss around
the idea, modify, etc. Anybody interested in contributing?

Assume response and recovery services are to be supported over a particular
administrative domain (e.g., U.S. Homeland Security has been considering
connecting first-responders including FEMA to GuardNET).  Since disasters
may result in physical network damage or network congestion, some response
and recovery services may be adversely impacted (e.g., VoIP and video).  The
overall goal of these services is that communications are understandable and
applications perform to the best extent practical using the surviving
network. Congestion may occur in access links or elsewhere in the network.  

Possible work item:  
BCP--IETF Recommendations for Supporting Response and Recovery
Services over an Administrative Domain

Highlights:  An overview of what can and cannot be accomplished with today's
protocols including a discussion of quality of service mechanisms and
alternatives.

- Kimberly
_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:25:00 -0500

Kim,

>-----Original Message-----
>From: King, Kimberly S. [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 10:23 AM
>To: Ieprep (E-mail)
>Subject: [Ieprep] Possible work item

>Services over an Administrative Domain

Is this Administration Domain assumed to be involved with a single or
multiple AS's? I think we need to have two separate scenarios here. We can
work on one at a time. What is your opinion?

>protocols including a discussion of quality of service mechanisms and

- An

---

From: "King, Kimberly S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 18:32:25 -0500

>work on one at a time. What is your opinion?

Is your question about QoS when you say "involved"?
In terms of QoS over multiple domains, let me quote the words of
Geoff Huston

"The relatively loosely coordinated structure of the public Internet will 
have to change from the state we have today if we want to use QoS based 
services. The changes include:

·       A common selection of a set of QoS mechanisms to deploy,

·       Ubiquitous deployment of these mechanisms across both service 
provider and client networks,

·       The adoption of a uniform set of retail tariffs for QoS services,

·       The definition and common acceptance of multi-party QoS-related 
financial settlements that support fair and equitable cost distribution 
among multiple providers, and

·       The definition of commonly accepted service performance metrics and
related measurement methodologies to allow end-to-end and 
network-by-network service outcomes to be objectively assessed.

This is a significant agenda for the industry at large to undertake, and 
more so in an environment that features diversity and vigorous competition
between various public Internet service providers. "

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/759/ipj_3-1/ipj_3-1_qos.html

So, my opinion is that QoS should be approached assuming a single AD unless
you know something that I don't about how the above can be accomplished.

Kimberly