Subject: RE: [Ieprep] new tools for congestion?

From: "Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar \(UMKC-Student\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:02:50 -0500

> Actually this isn't done in real-time.  AT&T is using it as a traffic
> forcasting model.  It collects the data once a day, and used for
> various modeling simulations.  For example, verifying they still have
> redundancy on certain links or enough capacity in case something fails.
 
The cited nwfusion article talks about applying *tomography* for traffic
matrix estimation (sprint labs has similar work, but using choice models.)
While it is not real-time, it is not just used for dimensioning purpose; 
but also load balancing, fail-over(but at a larger time scale) and even 
automated routing protocol configuration.
 
btw, AT&T and sprintlabs TM estimation techniques are published in 
SIGCOMM 03 and SIGCOMM 02 respectively. I don't know how much it is used
in practice.

> AT&T has done some nice work, but it is evolutionary not revolutionary.
> Other providers have their own homegrown systems or use something like
> WANDL.
 
I may be wrong. But, products like WANDL and Netdoctor support automated 
configuration (to avoide manual errors) and serve as visualization tool
(but, it is a generic tool.) For example, given a set of OSPF weights + 
traffic demands, it can visualize the network in a graph form. In certain 
cases, it helps run a simulation to aid in the capacity forcasting process. 
So, it replaces some manual work. But, AT&T/sprintlabs work is to apply 
heuristics to provide a solution for a specific task( TE estimation, weight 
optimization etc.) So, their is a difference between "helping-to-understand-
the-problem" and "solving-the-problem."

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep