Subject: [Ieprep] IP Transport of WPS traffic

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:51:51 -0400

Sorry for the messed-up diagram in the previous email due to the limited
number of characters per line in the SMTP format! I am sending a fixed-up
one.

An

-----Original Message-----
From: Nguyen, An [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 2:27 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Ieprep] IP Transport of WPS traffic

Hi all,

I have the following issue I like to discuss with all of you.

Wireless Priority Service currently allows authorized users to obtain the
next available radio resources (access and egress) on a priority basis.
There are five levels defined by the FCC Regulation and Order as follows:

Level 1 - Executive Leadership and Policy Makers
Level 2 - Disaster Response/Military Command and Control
Level 3 - Public Health, Safety, and Law Enforcement Command
Level 4 - Public Service/Utilities and Public Welfare
Level 5 - Disaster Recovery

WPS does not require any preemption feature. It will not disrupt any
previously established calls and/or sessions. It allows WPS users wait in
the queue for radio access channels until the previous calls are completed
before they can make WPS calls .

WPS is now available on one of the GSM-based networks. It is not yet
available on any CDMA-based networks. 

Below is scenario where IP networks are involved in the WPS calls.

--------------         --------------          ---------------
-            -         -            -          -             -
-            -         -            -          -             - 
-            -         -            -          -             -
-    WPS     -----------      IP    ------------   WPS       -
-   (GSM/    -         -            -          -   (GSM/     -
-   CDMA)    -         -            -          -    CDMA)    -              
-            -         -            -          -             -
--------------         --------------          ---------------

Assumption: No congestion is in the IP backbone for now.  

Need: There is a need for WPS priority markers associated with WPS calls
originated in one wireless network to traverse  IP networks and get into
another wireless network. 

Requirement: It is required that IP network must have capability to carry
markers associated with WPS calls across its backbone network so that, for
the lack of better words,  WPS can have end-to-end priority.

Since the IEPREP WG is chartered to discuss requirements related to
emergency preparedness, I  would like to share this requirement with the
group. 

Regards,

An Nguyen

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep

---

From: "Gunn, Janet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 15:16:48 -0400

An,

Thanks for the fixed diagram.

Are you considering the case of an IP backbone WITHIN a single
WPS-Supporting Wireless Service Provider, or are you considering the case of
an IP based long distance provider connecting two distinct WPS-Supporting
Wireless Service Providers?  Or both?  Your "need" seems to address the
second case, but I think the first case needs to be addressed too.

Are you assuming that the IP network is a "private" IP network, or are you
assuming it to be the "Big I" Internet?

There are similar needs for the "GETS to WPS" and "WPS to GETS" case, if
there is an IP network between the WPS-Supporting Wireless Service Provider
and the GETS-Supporting LEC or IXC.

Since you are assuming no congestion in the IP part, the focus is on getting
the relevant ISUP parameters ((CPC parameter = HPC) for GETS, and ((CPC
parameter = HPC) PLUS (Precedence parameter Precedence Level = 0 through 4,
(based on calling party's Service User Priority), and MLPP Service Domain =
NCS Wireless Priority Service-1 through NCS Wireless Priority Service-5
(again based on calling party's Service User Priority))) from the
originating  WPS-Supporting Wireless Service Provider to the terminating
WPS-Supporting Wireless Service Provider.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: Nguyen, An [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 2:52 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Ieprep] IP Transport of WPS traffic

An

-----Original Message-----
From: Nguyen, An [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 2:27 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Ieprep] IP Transport of WPS traffic

Hi all,

Regards,

An Nguyen

---

From: "Susana Sabater (ML/EEM)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:14:17 +0200

An, 

You are mentioning WPS, is this requirement formulated just for networks operating in US?

Cheers,
/Susana

-----Original Message-----
From: Gunn, Janet [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: miércoles, 08 de octubre de 2003 21:17
To: 'Nguyen, An'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] IP Transport of WPS traffic

An,

Janet
-----Original Message-----
From: Nguyen, An [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 2:52 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Ieprep] IP Transport of WPS traffic

An

-----Original Message-----
From: Nguyen, An [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 2:27 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Ieprep] IP Transport of WPS traffic

Hi all,

Regards,

An Nguyen