Subject: [Ieprep] IP Transport of WPS traffic

From: "Nguyen, An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:27:19 -0400

Hi all,

I have the following issue I like to discuss with all of you.

Wireless Priority Service currently allows authorized users to obtain the
next available radio resources (access and egress) on a priority basis.
There are five levels defined by the FCC Regulation and Order as follows:

Level 1 - Executive Leadership and Policy Makers
Level 2 - Disaster Response/Military Command and Control
Level 3 - Public Health, Safety, and Law Enforcement Command
Level 4 - Public Service/Utilities and Public Welfare
Level 5 - Disaster Recovery

WPS does not require any preemption feature. It will not disrupt any
previously established calls and/or sessions. It allows WPS users wait in
the queue for radio access channels until the previous calls are completed
before they can make WPS calls .

WPS is now available on one of the GSM-based networks. It is not yet
available on any CDMA-based networks. 

Below is scenario where IP networks are involved in the WPS calls.

      -----------------               ---------------------------
----------------------
      -               -               -                         -
-                    -
      -               -               -                         -
-                    -
      -    WPS   -----------------      IP                -----------------
WPS          -
      -               -               -                         -
-   (GSM/        -
      - (GSM/     -               -                         -
-    CDMA)       -  
      -  CDMA)   -               -                         -               -
-
      -----------------               ---------------------------
-----------------------

Assumption: No congestion is in the IP backbone for now.  

Need: There is a need for WPS priority markers associated with WPS calls
originated in one wireless network to traverse  IP networks and get into
another wireless network. 

Requirement: It is required that IP network must have capability to carry
markers associated with WPS calls across its backbone network so that, for
the lack of better words,  WPS can have end-to-end priority.

Since the IEPREP WG is chartered to discuss requirements related to
emergency preparedness, I  would like to share this requirement with the
group. 

Regards,

An Nguyen

_______________________________________________
Ieprep mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ieprep