Subject: Question regarding new rules for Mid term vacancies

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:52:52 +0100

The current draft includes changes for overlapping
the terms of the old nomcom and the new nomcom by 3 months
in the case that a mid-term vacancy needs to be filled.

This text has been discussed on the list and in the WG meeting
and I believe that it is approaching consensus.  There is one
major pending sub-issue that does not not have consensus and has
not yet been discussed on this list, though it did have a brief
though inconclusive discussion during the meeting.

This is the question of whether the voting members of one
year's nomcom should be excluded from volunteering or serving
as voting members on the following year's nomcom.

Please contribute your ideas on this issue or any issue having
to do with the Mid term vacancy text.  I will try to determine
the WG consensus on this by Jan 1 2003.

thanks
a.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:30:31 +0100

imho, this is actually a separate issue.

I don't think we should worry about overlap of the two Nomcom
memberships as far as mid-term vacancies go. If someone has been
duly picked for both Nomcoms, let it be.

The issue is whether we want to protect the Nomcom in general against
repeat membership. But I find it hard to argue that if X volunteers
every year, and gets picked at random two years running, that this 
offends democratic principles. 

   Brian

Avri Doria wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
> To subscribe or unsubscribe from this elist use the subscription
> manager: <http://lists.elistx.com/subscribe>