Subject: Re: [ietf-nomcom] Some thoughts about draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-02.txt

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 00:00:17 -0700

At 14:27 21-08-2012, Barry Leiba wrote:
>The specific exclusions that are in the real "rules" part are for the
>IETF Secretariat and the RFC Editor.  I would be just as happy to
>remove those.  We can question whether we want to leave the RSE in,
>specifically, but there's probably no real need to exclude the paid
>RFC Editor function employees.  I'll note that the IAD is already
>excluded by the "ex-officio" clause (he's an ex-officio IAOC member).
>The current IAD has told me that he thinks it would be inappropriate
>for the IAD to volunteer in any case, whether or not he's allowed to.
>
>Margaret has commented that this stuff should come out.  Others, in
>early conversations and discussions about all of this, thought it
>should be in.  Further comments appreciated.
>
>In particular: should bullet 15,2 (and its supporting text elsewhere)
>be removed?

Appendix A of RFC 3777 mentions oral tradition and has the following text:

  'The number of nominating committee members with the same primary
   affiliation is limited in order to avoid the appearance of
   improper bias in choosing the leadership of the IETF.  Rather
   than defining precise rules for how to define "affiliation", the
   IETF community depends on the honor and integrity of the
   participants to make the process work.'

Instead of defining precise rules, we could do an update to the "oral 
tradition" to include the information provided in bullet 15.2.  The 
intention is for the update to be minimal.  I thought of the term "ex 
officio positions".  It's not as precise as "members" or 
"liaisons".  I'll plead guilty to the charge of hand-waving.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:18:46 +0100

That is by far the best suggestion.
Thanks.
Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: S Moonesamy [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 22 August 2012 08:00
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Some thoughts about draft-leiba-3777upd-eligibility-02.txt
>