Subject: WAP Mime types
From: [email-masked] (Pieter Kasselman)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:13:39 -0000

Hi, apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

I include the three mime type definitions as text in the main body of the
mail.

Pieter

-------------------------application/vnd.wap.cert-response------------------
----------

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.wap.cert-response

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name:
 
        vnd.wap.cert-response

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a CertResponse 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new client certificates on a 
        WAP client device. The structure allows for a X509 
        certificate, certificate URL or a referral URL to be returned. 
        Interpreting the MIME type requires the certificate storage 
        medium to be accessed and modified. If this medium is accessed 
        or updated incorrectly existing certificate information may be 
        corrupted. If an incorrect certificate URL is returned, this 
        may be used as part of a denial of service attack on a server 
        at a later stage. Likewise the referral URL may be used to 
        launch a co-ordinated denial of service attack on a server.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References
        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

-------------------------application/vnd.wap.hashed-certificate-------------
---------------

> From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type
application/vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

MIME media type name:

        application

MIME subtype name:

        vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

Required parameters:

        None

Optional parameters:

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in
        [WTLS].  The content takes the form of a TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure.  This structure is defined in [WPKI], reproduced
        below for informational purposes.  The structure is binary
        data, and must be encoded for non-binary transport; in 7-bit
        environments the Base64 encoding is suitable.

        struct {
                CharacterSet        character_set;
                opaque              displayName        <1..2^8-1>;
        } CertDisplayName; 

        enum { sha1 (0), 255 } HashAlgorithm ;

        struct {
                uint8                      version;
                CertDisplayName            displayName;
                Certificate                trustedCACert;
                opaque                     cainfo_url <0..2^8-1>;
                HashAlgorithm              hash_alg;
        } TBHTrustedCAInfo;

        Users must enter exactly 80 "effective" bits of hash, which
        extracted from the display form and are the leftmost 80 bits
        of the SHA-1 hash of the CA information.

        Let "hash" be the SHA-1 hash of the encoding of (the encoding
        of) a TBHTrustedCAInfo structure. This consists of 160 bits
        (h0,..h159), in network byte order, h0 being the leftmost
        bit).

        The display form of the hash consists of 30 decimal digits,
        constructed of 5 blocks of 6 digits. The leftmost 5 digits of
        each block represent 16 bits of the effective hash, (i.e. can
        take the value '00000' to '65535' decimal), the sixth digit of
        each block is a check digit for the block. Block zero consists
        of h0 to h15 (with h0 being the most significant bit),
        followed by the associated check digit; block one consists of
        h16 to h31; followed by the associated check digit etc. That
        is if h0 is '1'B and h1 to h15 are all '0'B, then the sixteen
        bits have the value '8000'H or '32678' decimal, and the check
        digit is '5' decimal (see below for the check digit
        calculation method).

        The check digit is calculated using the same mechanism as used
        for credit card numbers, that is, the LUHN formula (mod 10) as
        described below.

        The following steps are required to validate a 6 digit group:

        Step 1: Double the value of alternate digits of the number
        beginning with the second digit from the right (the first
        right--hand digit is the check digit.)

        Step 2: Add the individual digits comprising the products
        obtained in Step 1 to each of the unaffected digits in the
        original number.

        Step 3: The total obtained in Step 2 must be a number ending
        in zero (30, 40, 50, etc.) for the number to be validated.

        Example 1: to validate the group 398719, corresponding to
        '9BBF'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1: 

         3 9 8 7 1 9
        x2  x2  x2 
        ------------
        6  16   2

        Step 2:  (6) + 9 +(1+6) + 7 + (2) + 9

        Step 3: Sum is 40 = 0 (mod 10): group is validated 

        Example 2: to validate the group 326785, corresponding to
        '8000'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1: 

         3 2 6 7 8 5
        x2  x2  x2 
        ------------
         6  12  16 

        Step 2:  (6) + 2 +(1+2) + 7 + (1+6) + 5

        Step 3: Sum is 30 = 0 (mod 10): group is validated 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP
        client device.  The TBHTrustedCAInfo structure contains the
        new CA certificate, without protection.  Due to the sensitive
        nature of CA certificates the client uses a checksum value
        entered by the user, received "out of band" of the CA
        certificate delivery response (e.g. via paper mail), to
        guarantee the integrity of the CA certificate.  The client
        must calculate the checksum of the received TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure and verify it against the manually entered checksum
        value.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG)
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum
        Ltd. specifications. See [WAP].

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the
        WTLS specification that can be found at
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Simon Josefsson
        RSA Security
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd.

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification -
WAP-261-WTLS
 	  [WAP] WAP Forum Certification Program and Policy - 
              http://www.wapforum.org/cert/go-cert.html

-------------------------vnd.wap.signed-certificate-------------------------
---

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type
application/vnd.wap.signed-certificate

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name: 

        vnd.wap.signed-certificate

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a SignedTrustedCAInfo 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP 
        client device. The SignedTrustedCAInfo structure contains both 
        the new CA certificate and the certificate of the signer that 
        introduces the new CA certificate. The structure is signed as 
        specified in [WPKI] and [WTLS]. Due to the sensitive nature of 
        CA certificates the client device must be able to trust the 
        signer of this structure before the contained certificate is 
        used. The client must verify the signature contained in the 
        SignedTrustedCAInfo structure, verify the certificate of the 
        signer as well as the signature on the new self-signed CA 
        certificate. If the signer CA is independent of the newly 
        introduced CA there may be implications for the certification 
        policies of the two CAs. 

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Keith Moore [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	04 March 2002 14:43
> To:	Pieter Kasselman
> Cc:	[email-masked]'
> Subject:	Re: WAP Mime types 
> 
> I can't read the proposed type registrations because they are mislabeled 
> as application/octet-stream.  Perhaps you could repost them with proper
> labelling?
> 
> Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,  special,  indirect 
or consequential  damages  arising  from  alteration of  the contents of this
message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by
Baltimore MIMEsweeper for Content Security threats, including
computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com

From: [email-masked] (Keith Moore)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 09:42:35 -0500
Subject: WAP Mime types
In-Reply-To: (Your message of "Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:23:07 GMT.") <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I can't read the proposed type registrations because they are mislabeled 
as application/octet-stream.  Perhaps you could repost them with proper
labelling?

Keith

From: [email-masked] (Pieter Kasselman)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:23:07 -0000
Subject: WAP Mime types
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050
Content-Type: text/plain

Hi, the WAP Forum Security Group would like to submit the following
MIME-types for registration in the vendor tree. In accordance with
recommendations in RFC 2048 the mime types are submitted for a two week
community review before submission to IANA.

The mime types are:

vnd.wap.hashed-certificate - Used for installing a new CA certificate on a
mobile device.
vnd.wap.signed-certificate - An alternative for installing a new CA
certificate on a mobile device.
vnd.wap.cert-response - Installing user certificates on a mobile device.

 <<vnd.wap.hashed-certificate>>  <<vnd.wap.signed-certificate>>  
<<vnd.wap.cert-response>> 

Pieter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,  special,  indirect 
or consequential  damages  arising  from  alteration of  the contents of this
message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by
Baltimore MIMEsweeper for Content Security threats, including
computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
	name="vnd.wap.hashed-certificate"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="vnd.wap.hashed-certificate"

> From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type =
application/vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

MIME media type name:

        application

MIME subtype name:

        vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

Required parameters:

        None

Optional parameters:

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in
        [WTLS].  The content takes the form of a TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure.  This structure is defined in [WPKI], reproduced
        below for informational purposes.  The structure is binary
        data, and must be encoded for non-binary transport; in 7-bit
        environments the Base64 encoding is suitable.

        struct {
                CharacterSet        character_set;
                opaque              displayName        <1..2^8-1>;
        } CertDisplayName;=20

        enum { sha1 (0), 255 } HashAlgorithm ;

        struct {
                uint8                      version;
                CertDisplayName            displayName;
                Certificate                trustedCACert;
                opaque                     cainfo_url <0..2^8-1>;
                HashAlgorithm              hash_alg;
        } TBHTrustedCAInfo;

        Users must enter exactly 80 "effective" bits of hash, which
        extracted from the display form and are the leftmost 80 bits
        of the SHA-1 hash of the CA information.

        Let "hash" be the SHA-1 hash of the encoding of (the encoding
        of) a TBHTrustedCAInfo structure. This consists of 160 bits
        (h0,..h159), in network byte order, h0 being the leftmost
        bit).

        The display form of the hash consists of 30 decimal digits,
        constructed of 5 blocks of 6 digits. The leftmost 5 digits of
        each block represent 16 bits of the effective hash, (i.e. can
        take the value '00000' to '65535' decimal), the sixth digit of
        each block is a check digit for the block. Block zero consists
        of h0 to h15 (with h0 being the most significant bit),
        followed by the associated check digit; block one consists of
        h16 to h31; followed by the associated check digit etc. That
        is if h0 is '1'B and h1 to h15 are all '0'B, then the sixteen
        bits have the value '8000'H or '32678' decimal, and the check
        digit is '5' decimal (see below for the check digit
        calculation method).

        The check digit is calculated using the same mechanism as used
        for credit card numbers, that is, the LUHN formula (mod 10) as
        described below.

        The following steps are required to validate a 6 digit group:

        Step 1: Double the value of alternate digits of the number
        beginning with the second digit from the right (the first
        right--hand digit is the check digit.)

        Step 2: Add the individual digits comprising the products
        obtained in Step 1 to each of the unaffected digits in the
        original number.

        Step 3: The total obtained in Step 2 must be a number ending
        in zero (30, 40, 50, etc.) for the number to be validated.

        Example 1: to validate the group 398719, corresponding to
        '9BBF'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1:=20

         3 9 8 7 1 9
        x2  x2  x2=20
        ------------
        6  16   2

        Step 2:  (6) + 9 +(1+6) + 7 + (2) + 9

        Step 3: Sum is 40 =3D 0 (mod 10): group is validated=20

        Example 2: to validate the group 326785, corresponding to
        '8000'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1:=20

         3 2 6 7 8 5
        x2  x2  x2=20
        ------------
         6  12  16=20

        Step 2:  (6) + 2 +(1+2) + 7 + (1+6) + 5

        Step 3: Sum is 30 =3D 0 (mod 10): group is validated=20

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP
        client device.  The TBHTrustedCAInfo structure contains the
        new CA certificate, without protection.  Due to the sensitive
        nature of CA certificates the client uses a checksum value
        entered by the user, received "out of band" of the CA
        certificate delivery response (e.g. via paper mail), to
        guarantee the integrity of the CA certificate.  The client
        must calculate the checksum of the received TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure and verify it against the manually entered checksum
        value.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG)
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum
        Ltd. specifications. See [WAP].

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the
        WTLS specification that can be found at
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Simon Josefsson
        RSA Security
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd.

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - =
WAP-217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - =
WAP-261-WTLS
 	  [WAP] WAP Forum Certification Program and Policy -=20
              http://www.wapforum.org/cert/go-cert.html

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
	name="vnd.wap.signed-certificate"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="vnd.wap.signed-certificate"

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.wap.signed-certificate

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name: 

        vnd.wap.signed-certificate

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a SignedTrustedCAInfo 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP 
        client device. The SignedTrustedCAInfo structure contains both 
        the new CA certificate and the certificate of the signer that 
        introduces the new CA certificate. The structure is signed as 
        specified in [WPKI] and [WTLS]. Due to the sensitive nature of 
        CA certificates the client device must be able to trust the 
        signer of this structure before the contained certificate is 
        used. The client must verify the signature contained in the 
        SignedTrustedCAInfo structure, verify the certificate of the 
        signer as well as the signature on the new self-signed CA 
        certificate. If the signer CA is independent of the newly 
        introduced CA there may be implications for the certification 
        policies of the two CAs. 

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
	name="vnd.wap.cert-response"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="vnd.wap.cert-response"

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.wap.cert-response

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name:
 
        vnd.wap.cert-response

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a CertResponse 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new client certificates on a 
        WAP client device. The structure allows for a X509 
        certificate, certificate URL or a referral URL to be returned. 
        Interpreting the MIME type requires the certificate storage 
        medium to be accessed and modified. If this medium is accessed 
        or updated incorrectly existing certificate information may be 
        corrupted. If an incorrect certificate URL is returned, this 
        may be used as part of a denial of service attack on a server 
        at a later stage. Likewise the referral URL may be used to 
        launch a co-ordinated denial of service attack on a server.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References
        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050--

From: pkasselman at baltimore.com (Pieter Kasselman)
Date: Tue Jan  3 16:22:31 2006
Subject: WAP Mime types 
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi, apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

I include the three mime type definitions as text in the main body of the
mail.

Pieter

-------------------------application/vnd.wap.cert-response------------------
----------

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.wap.cert-response

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name:
 
        vnd.wap.cert-response

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a CertResponse 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new client certificates on a 
        WAP client device. The structure allows for a X509 
        certificate, certificate URL or a referral URL to be returned. 
        Interpreting the MIME type requires the certificate storage 
        medium to be accessed and modified. If this medium is accessed 
        or updated incorrectly existing certificate information may be 
        corrupted. If an incorrect certificate URL is returned, this 
        may be used as part of a denial of service attack on a server 
        at a later stage. Likewise the referral URL may be used to 
        launch a co-ordinated denial of service attack on a server.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References
        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

-------------------------application/vnd.wap.hashed-certificate-------------
---------------

> From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type
application/vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

MIME media type name:

        application

MIME subtype name:

        vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

Required parameters:

        None

Optional parameters:

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in
        [WTLS].  The content takes the form of a TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure.  This structure is defined in [WPKI], reproduced
        below for informational purposes.  The structure is binary
        data, and must be encoded for non-binary transport; in 7-bit
        environments the Base64 encoding is suitable.

        struct {
                CharacterSet        character_set;
                opaque              displayName        <1..2^8-1>;
        } CertDisplayName; 

        enum { sha1 (0), 255 } HashAlgorithm ;

        struct {
                uint8                      version;
                CertDisplayName            displayName;
                Certificate                trustedCACert;
                opaque                     cainfo_url <0..2^8-1>;
                HashAlgorithm              hash_alg;
        } TBHTrustedCAInfo;

        Users must enter exactly 80 "effective" bits of hash, which
        extracted from the display form and are the leftmost 80 bits
        of the SHA-1 hash of the CA information.

        Let "hash" be the SHA-1 hash of the encoding of (the encoding
        of) a TBHTrustedCAInfo structure. This consists of 160 bits
        (h0,..h159), in network byte order, h0 being the leftmost
        bit).

        The display form of the hash consists of 30 decimal digits,
        constructed of 5 blocks of 6 digits. The leftmost 5 digits of
        each block represent 16 bits of the effective hash, (i.e. can
        take the value '00000' to '65535' decimal), the sixth digit of
        each block is a check digit for the block. Block zero consists
        of h0 to h15 (with h0 being the most significant bit),
        followed by the associated check digit; block one consists of
        h16 to h31; followed by the associated check digit etc. That
        is if h0 is '1'B and h1 to h15 are all '0'B, then the sixteen
        bits have the value '8000'H or '32678' decimal, and the check
        digit is '5' decimal (see below for the check digit
        calculation method).

        The check digit is calculated using the same mechanism as used
        for credit card numbers, that is, the LUHN formula (mod 10) as
        described below.

        The following steps are required to validate a 6 digit group:

        Step 1: Double the value of alternate digits of the number
        beginning with the second digit from the right (the first
        right--hand digit is the check digit.)

        Step 2: Add the individual digits comprising the products
        obtained in Step 1 to each of the unaffected digits in the
        original number.

        Step 3: The total obtained in Step 2 must be a number ending
        in zero (30, 40, 50, etc.) for the number to be validated.

        Example 1: to validate the group 398719, corresponding to
        '9BBF'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1: 

         3 9 8 7 1 9
        x2  x2  x2 
        ------------
        6  16   2

        Step 2:  (6) + 9 +(1+6) + 7 + (2) + 9

        Step 3: Sum is 40 = 0 (mod 10): group is validated 

        Example 2: to validate the group 326785, corresponding to
        '8000'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1: 

         3 2 6 7 8 5
        x2  x2  x2 
        ------------
         6  12  16 

        Step 2:  (6) + 2 +(1+2) + 7 + (1+6) + 5

        Step 3: Sum is 30 = 0 (mod 10): group is validated 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP
        client device.  The TBHTrustedCAInfo structure contains the
        new CA certificate, without protection.  Due to the sensitive
        nature of CA certificates the client uses a checksum value
        entered by the user, received "out of band" of the CA
        certificate delivery response (e.g. via paper mail), to
        guarantee the integrity of the CA certificate.  The client
        must calculate the checksum of the received TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure and verify it against the manually entered checksum
        value.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG)
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum
        Ltd. specifications. See [WAP].

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the
        WTLS specification that can be found at
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Simon Josefsson
        RSA Security
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd.

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification -
WAP-261-WTLS
 	  [WAP] WAP Forum Certification Program and Policy - 
              http://www.wapforum.org/cert/go-cert.html

-------------------------vnd.wap.signed-certificate-------------------------
---

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type
application/vnd.wap.signed-certificate

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name: 

        vnd.wap.signed-certificate

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a SignedTrustedCAInfo 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP 
        client device. The SignedTrustedCAInfo structure contains both 
        the new CA certificate and the certificate of the signer that 
        introduces the new CA certificate. The structure is signed as 
        specified in [WPKI] and [WTLS]. Due to the sensitive nature of 
        CA certificates the client device must be able to trust the 
        signer of this structure before the contained certificate is 
        used. The client must verify the signature contained in the 
        SignedTrustedCAInfo structure, verify the certificate of the 
        signer as well as the signature on the new self-signed CA 
        certificate. If the signer CA is independent of the newly 
        introduced CA there may be implications for the certification 
        policies of the two CAs. 

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Keith Moore [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	04 March 2002 14:43
> To:	Pieter Kasselman
> Cc:	[email-masked]'
> Subject:	Re: WAP Mime types 
> 
> I can't read the proposed type registrations because they are mislabeled 
> as application/octet-stream.  Perhaps you could repost them with proper
> labelling?
> 
> Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,  special,  indirect 
or consequential  damages  arising  from  alteration of  the contents of this
message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by
Baltimore MIMEsweeper for Content Security threats, including
computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com

From: [email-masked] (Pieter Kasselman)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 15:13:39 -0000
Subject: WAP Mime types
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi, apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

I include the three mime type definitions as text in the main body of the
mail.

Pieter

-------------------------application/vnd.wap.cert-response------------------
----------

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.wap.cert-response

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name:
 
        vnd.wap.cert-response

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a CertResponse 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new client certificates on a 
        WAP client device. The structure allows for a X509 
        certificate, certificate URL or a referral URL to be returned. 
        Interpreting the MIME type requires the certificate storage 
        medium to be accessed and modified. If this medium is accessed 
        or updated incorrectly existing certificate information may be 
        corrupted. If an incorrect certificate URL is returned, this 
        may be used as part of a denial of service attack on a server 
        at a later stage. Likewise the referral URL may be used to 
        launch a co-ordinated denial of service attack on a server.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References
        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

-------------------------application/vnd.wap.hashed-certificate-------------
---------------

> From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type
application/vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

MIME media type name:

        application

MIME subtype name:

        vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

Required parameters:

        None

Optional parameters:

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in
        [WTLS].  The content takes the form of a TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure.  This structure is defined in [WPKI], reproduced
        below for informational purposes.  The structure is binary
        data, and must be encoded for non-binary transport; in 7-bit
        environments the Base64 encoding is suitable.

        struct {
                CharacterSet        character_set;
                opaque              displayName        <1..2^8-1>;
        } CertDisplayName; 

        enum { sha1 (0), 255 } HashAlgorithm ;

        struct {
                uint8                      version;
                CertDisplayName            displayName;
                Certificate                trustedCACert;
                opaque                     cainfo_url <0..2^8-1>;
                HashAlgorithm              hash_alg;
        } TBHTrustedCAInfo;

        Users must enter exactly 80 "effective" bits of hash, which
        extracted from the display form and are the leftmost 80 bits
        of the SHA-1 hash of the CA information.

        Let "hash" be the SHA-1 hash of the encoding of (the encoding
        of) a TBHTrustedCAInfo structure. This consists of 160 bits
        (h0,..h159), in network byte order, h0 being the leftmost
        bit).

        The display form of the hash consists of 30 decimal digits,
        constructed of 5 blocks of 6 digits. The leftmost 5 digits of
        each block represent 16 bits of the effective hash, (i.e. can
        take the value '00000' to '65535' decimal), the sixth digit of
        each block is a check digit for the block. Block zero consists
        of h0 to h15 (with h0 being the most significant bit),
        followed by the associated check digit; block one consists of
        h16 to h31; followed by the associated check digit etc. That
        is if h0 is '1'B and h1 to h15 are all '0'B, then the sixteen
        bits have the value '8000'H or '32678' decimal, and the check
        digit is '5' decimal (see below for the check digit
        calculation method).

        The check digit is calculated using the same mechanism as used
        for credit card numbers, that is, the LUHN formula (mod 10) as
        described below.

        The following steps are required to validate a 6 digit group:

        Step 1: Double the value of alternate digits of the number
        beginning with the second digit from the right (the first
        right--hand digit is the check digit.)

        Step 2: Add the individual digits comprising the products
        obtained in Step 1 to each of the unaffected digits in the
        original number.

        Step 3: The total obtained in Step 2 must be a number ending
        in zero (30, 40, 50, etc.) for the number to be validated.

        Example 1: to validate the group 398719, corresponding to
        '9BBF'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1: 

         3 9 8 7 1 9
        x2  x2  x2 
        ------------
        6  16   2

        Step 2:  (6) + 9 +(1+6) + 7 + (2) + 9

        Step 3: Sum is 40 = 0 (mod 10): group is validated 

        Example 2: to validate the group 326785, corresponding to
        '8000'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1: 

         3 2 6 7 8 5
        x2  x2  x2 
        ------------
         6  12  16 

        Step 2:  (6) + 2 +(1+2) + 7 + (1+6) + 5

        Step 3: Sum is 30 = 0 (mod 10): group is validated 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP
        client device.  The TBHTrustedCAInfo structure contains the
        new CA certificate, without protection.  Due to the sensitive
        nature of CA certificates the client uses a checksum value
        entered by the user, received "out of band" of the CA
        certificate delivery response (e.g. via paper mail), to
        guarantee the integrity of the CA certificate.  The client
        must calculate the checksum of the received TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure and verify it against the manually entered checksum
        value.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG)
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum
        Ltd. specifications. See [WAP].

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the
        WTLS specification that can be found at
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Simon Josefsson
        RSA Security
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd.

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification -
WAP-261-WTLS
 	  [WAP] WAP Forum Certification Program and Policy - 
              http://www.wapforum.org/cert/go-cert.html

-------------------------vnd.wap.signed-certificate-------------------------
---

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type
application/vnd.wap.signed-certificate

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name: 

        vnd.wap.signed-certificate

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a SignedTrustedCAInfo 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP 
        client device. The SignedTrustedCAInfo structure contains both 
        the new CA certificate and the certificate of the signer that 
        introduces the new CA certificate. The structure is signed as 
        specified in [WPKI] and [WTLS]. Due to the sensitive nature of 
        CA certificates the client device must be able to trust the 
        signer of this structure before the contained certificate is 
        used. The client must verify the signature contained in the 
        SignedTrustedCAInfo structure, verify the certificate of the 
        signer as well as the signature on the new self-signed CA 
        certificate. If the signer CA is independent of the newly 
        introduced CA there may be implications for the certification 
        policies of the two CAs. 

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Keith Moore [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	04 March 2002 14:43
> To:	Pieter Kasselman
> Cc:	[email-masked]'
> Subject:	Re: WAP Mime types 
> 
> I can't read the proposed type registrations because they are mislabeled 
> as application/octet-stream.  Perhaps you could repost them with proper
> labelling?
> 
> Keith

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,  special,  indirect 
or consequential  damages  arising  from  alteration of  the contents of this
message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by
Baltimore MIMEsweeper for Content Security threats, including
computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com

From: [email-masked] (Keith Moore)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 09:42:35 -0500
Subject: WAP Mime types
In-Reply-To: (Your message of "Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:23:07 GMT.") <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I can't read the proposed type registrations because they are mislabeled 
as application/octet-stream.  Perhaps you could repost them with proper
labelling?

Keith

From: pkasselman at baltimore.com (Pieter Kasselman)
Date: Tue Jan  3 16:22:31 2006
Subject: WAP Mime types
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi, the WAP Forum Security Group would like to submit the following
MIME-types for registration in the vendor tree. In accordance with
recommendations in RFC 2048 the mime types are submitted for a two week
community review before submission to IANA.

The mime types are:

vnd.wap.hashed-certificate - Used for installing a new CA certificate on a
mobile device.
vnd.wap.signed-certificate - An alternative for installing a new CA
certificate on a mobile device.
vnd.wap.cert-response - Installing user certificates on a mobile device.

 <<vnd.wap.hashed-certificate>>  <<vnd.wap.signed-certificate>>  
<<vnd.wap.cert-response>> 

Pieter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,  special,  indirect 
or consequential  damages  arising  from  alteration of  the contents of this
message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by
Baltimore MIMEsweeper for Content Security threats, including
computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: vnd.wap.hashed-certificate
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 5718 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/attachments/20020304/cb4ee023/vnd.wap.obj
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: vnd.wap.signed-certificate
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 2546 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/attachments/20020304/cb4ee023/vnd.wap-0001.obj
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: vnd.wap.cert-response
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 2411 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.alvestrand.no/pipermail/ietf-types/attachments/20020304/cb4ee023/vnd.wap-0002.obj
>From [email-masked]  Mon Mar  4 15:42:35 2002
From: moore at cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore)
Date: Tue Jan  3 16:22:31 2006
Subject: WAP Mime types 
In-Reply-To: (Your message of "Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:23:07 GMT.") 
             <[email-masked]> 
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

I can't read the proposed type registrations because they are mislabeled 
as application/octet-stream.  Perhaps you could repost them with proper
labelling?

Keith

From: [email-masked] (Pieter Kasselman)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:23:07 -0000
Subject: WAP Mime types
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050
Content-Type: text/plain

Hi, the WAP Forum Security Group would like to submit the following
MIME-types for registration in the vendor tree. In accordance with
recommendations in RFC 2048 the mime types are submitted for a two week
community review before submission to IANA.

The mime types are:

vnd.wap.hashed-certificate - Used for installing a new CA certificate on a
mobile device.
vnd.wap.signed-certificate - An alternative for installing a new CA
certificate on a mobile device.
vnd.wap.cert-response - Installing user certificates on a mobile device.

 <<vnd.wap.hashed-certificate>>  <<vnd.wap.signed-certificate>>  
<<vnd.wap.cert-response>> 

Pieter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Baltimore Technologies plc will not be liable for direct,  special,  indirect 
or consequential  damages  arising  from  alteration of  the contents of this
message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by
Baltimore MIMEsweeper for Content Security threats, including
computer viruses.
   http://www.baltimore.com

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
	name="vnd.wap.hashed-certificate"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="vnd.wap.hashed-certificate"

> From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type =
application/vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

MIME media type name:

        application

MIME subtype name:

        vnd.wap.hashed-certificate

Required parameters:

        None

Optional parameters:

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in
        [WTLS].  The content takes the form of a TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure.  This structure is defined in [WPKI], reproduced
        below for informational purposes.  The structure is binary
        data, and must be encoded for non-binary transport; in 7-bit
        environments the Base64 encoding is suitable.

        struct {
                CharacterSet        character_set;
                opaque              displayName        <1..2^8-1>;
        } CertDisplayName;=20

        enum { sha1 (0), 255 } HashAlgorithm ;

        struct {
                uint8                      version;
                CertDisplayName            displayName;
                Certificate                trustedCACert;
                opaque                     cainfo_url <0..2^8-1>;
                HashAlgorithm              hash_alg;
        } TBHTrustedCAInfo;

        Users must enter exactly 80 "effective" bits of hash, which
        extracted from the display form and are the leftmost 80 bits
        of the SHA-1 hash of the CA information.

        Let "hash" be the SHA-1 hash of the encoding of (the encoding
        of) a TBHTrustedCAInfo structure. This consists of 160 bits
        (h0,..h159), in network byte order, h0 being the leftmost
        bit).

        The display form of the hash consists of 30 decimal digits,
        constructed of 5 blocks of 6 digits. The leftmost 5 digits of
        each block represent 16 bits of the effective hash, (i.e. can
        take the value '00000' to '65535' decimal), the sixth digit of
        each block is a check digit for the block. Block zero consists
        of h0 to h15 (with h0 being the most significant bit),
        followed by the associated check digit; block one consists of
        h16 to h31; followed by the associated check digit etc. That
        is if h0 is '1'B and h1 to h15 are all '0'B, then the sixteen
        bits have the value '8000'H or '32678' decimal, and the check
        digit is '5' decimal (see below for the check digit
        calculation method).

        The check digit is calculated using the same mechanism as used
        for credit card numbers, that is, the LUHN formula (mod 10) as
        described below.

        The following steps are required to validate a 6 digit group:

        Step 1: Double the value of alternate digits of the number
        beginning with the second digit from the right (the first
        right--hand digit is the check digit.)

        Step 2: Add the individual digits comprising the products
        obtained in Step 1 to each of the unaffected digits in the
        original number.

        Step 3: The total obtained in Step 2 must be a number ending
        in zero (30, 40, 50, etc.) for the number to be validated.

        Example 1: to validate the group 398719, corresponding to
        '9BBF'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1:=20

         3 9 8 7 1 9
        x2  x2  x2=20
        ------------
        6  16   2

        Step 2:  (6) + 9 +(1+6) + 7 + (2) + 9

        Step 3: Sum is 40 =3D 0 (mod 10): group is validated=20

        Example 2: to validate the group 326785, corresponding to
        '8000'H as the sixteen bits of hash:

        Step 1:=20

         3 2 6 7 8 5
        x2  x2  x2=20
        ------------
         6  12  16=20

        Step 2:  (6) + 2 +(1+2) + 7 + (1+6) + 5

        Step 3: Sum is 30 =3D 0 (mod 10): group is validated=20

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP
        client device.  The TBHTrustedCAInfo structure contains the
        new CA certificate, without protection.  Due to the sensitive
        nature of CA certificates the client uses a checksum value
        entered by the user, received "out of band" of the CA
        certificate delivery response (e.g. via paper mail), to
        guarantee the integrity of the CA certificate.  The client
        must calculate the checksum of the received TBHTrustedCAInfo
        structure and verify it against the manually entered checksum
        value.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG)
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum
        Ltd. specifications. See [WAP].

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the
        WTLS specification that can be found at
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Simon Josefsson
        RSA Security
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd.

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - =
WAP-217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - =
WAP-261-WTLS
 	  [WAP] WAP Forum Certification Program and Policy -=20
              http://www.wapforum.org/cert/go-cert.html

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
	name="vnd.wap.signed-certificate"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="vnd.wap.signed-certificate"

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.wap.signed-certificate

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name: 

        vnd.wap.signed-certificate

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a SignedTrustedCAInfo 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new CA certificates on a WAP 
        client device. The SignedTrustedCAInfo structure contains both 
        the new CA certificate and the certificate of the signer that 
        introduces the new CA certificate. The structure is signed as 
        specified in [WPKI] and [WTLS]. Due to the sensitive nature of 
        CA certificates the client device must be able to trust the 
        signer of this structure before the contained certificate is 
        used. The client must verify the signature contained in the 
        SignedTrustedCAInfo structure, verify the certificate of the 
        signer as well as the signature on the new self-signed CA 
        certificate. If the signer CA is independent of the newly 
        introduced CA there may be implications for the certification 
        policies of the two CAs. 

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References:

        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
	name="vnd.wap.cert-response"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="vnd.wap.cert-response"

> From: [email-masked]

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Registration of MIME media type application/vnd.wap.cert-response

MIME media type name: 

        application

MIME subtype name:
 
        vnd.wap.cert-response

Required parameters: 

        None

Optional parameters: 

        None

Encoding considerations:

        The encoding follows the WTLS encoding rules as specified in 
        [WTLS]. The content takes the form of a CertResponse 
        structure. This structure is defined in [WPKI]. 

Security considerations:

        This MIME type is used to install new client certificates on a 
        WAP client device. The structure allows for a X509 
        certificate, certificate URL or a referral URL to be returned. 
        Interpreting the MIME type requires the certificate storage 
        medium to be accessed and modified. If this medium is accessed 
        or updated incorrectly existing certificate information may be 
        corrupted. If an incorrect certificate URL is returned, this 
        may be used as part of a denial of service attack on a server 
        at a later stage. Likewise the referral URL may be used to 
        launch a co-ordinated denial of service attack on a server.

Interoperability considerations:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. Interoperability Working Group (WIG) 
        assesses interoperability for all WAP Forum Ltd. 
        specifications. See [WAP]. 

Published specification:

        This media type is specified in the WPKI specification that 
        can be found at http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

        The encoding rules and signature generation are defined in the 
        WTLS specification that can be found at 
        http://www.wapforum.org/what/technical.htm

Applications which use this media type:

        Any application that conforms with the [WPKI] specification.

Additional information:

Magic number(s): None
File extension(s): None
Macintosh File Type Code(s): None

Person & email address to contact for further information:

        Pieter Kasselman
        Baltimore Technologies
        [email-masked]

Intended usage:

        COMMON

Author/Change controller:

        The WAP Forum Ltd. 

References
        [WPKI] Wireless Public Key Infrastructure Definition - WAP-
        217-WPKI
        [WTLS] Wireless Transport Layer Security Specification - WAP-
        261-WTLS

------_=_NextPart_000_01C1C37F.B8BFE050--